Just discovered Salix looking for systemd free os

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
dbvu

Just discovered Salix looking for systemd free os

Post by dbvu »

Hi,

Just discovered Salix while searching out systemd free os's and I'm very impressed. Please stay away from systemd, you have a really good thing here. Using XFCE "full and everthing works great. From installation to a few desktop tweaks everything just works very snappy. A big thank you to the developers and community.

db
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: Just discovered Salix looking for systemd free os

Post by ChuangTzu »

You are in good company, quite a few of us fled systemd, and many others use Salix because it is an easier Slackware.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Welcome and enjoy. By the way, you are not the only systemd refugee here. Personally, I am glad systemd exists though. Don't get me wrong, I hate systemd; hate it beyond hate. But it was the reason I discovered Salix, which I really like, because it is what Slackware should be.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
jcoleman

Post by jcoleman »

Distro hopped for many years and usually had a Debian distro (mostly Mint, a few "buntu's"). Tried Salix a few years back version 13.(don't remember) and have been using pretty much since then, except for a short stint with Manjaro. Just lately my laptop wireless got a little flakey (it was the router, turns out) and the only recent iso on hand was Slackware 14.1 so figured what the heck and installed it. It's been OK but still not in love with KDE. The main desktop and my wife's lappie are still running Salix 14.1. Probably when version 14.?? or 15.?? come out I'll switch the laptop back again. I only have available 1.5 Mbps internet so downloading iso's is relatively slow and sometimes croaks in the middle of the night. The only thing I had trouble with was WiCd for some reason (on this machine) and switched to NetworkManager for the wireless. Give Salix a chance scratch your distro hopping itch with VirtualBox. :))
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

jcole, great advice with virtualbox. Its amazing my hard drive has lasted as long as it has, distro hopping and installing on metal.