shotwell missing a few dependencies

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
ChuangTzu
Donor

shotwell missing a few dependencies

Post by ChuangTzu »

Noticed that Shotwell is missing 3 dependencies. It still works without them but is missing some features.

* gst1-plugins-base
* vala
* rest
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: shotwell missing a few dependencies

Post by mimosa »

If you install these from the repositories, do the extra features work, or do you think the package may need to be rebuilt to support them? If not, it just looks like a case of adding these to the dependencies.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Hi Mimosa,

So far it functions normally when you add the other depends. They allow sorting by date, event etc.... Without them Shotwell just lists all photos as one big cluster, rather than organizing them.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

If you remember, when 14.2 goes to beta, perhaps you wouldn't mind checking the packager has picked up on this. Thank you for your report.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Anytime Mimosa, and ill make a reminder note.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I built this package for 14.1. Can't say that I am an expert since I really haven't used it but this is what I know.
gst-plugins-base1 is listed in the shotwell dependance file. gst-plugins-base1 is a ghost package which actually installs gst1-plugins-base. So it should have been installed when you installed shotwell. Here on my sytem Shotwell will not startup without this package installed

vala as far as i can tell is a build time dependencies. The package does not build without vala installed. depfinder does not pick it up as a dependency and as far as I can tell shotwell runs fine without it installed.

rest is the same story, package will not build without it installed but finder does not detect it as a dependency. again shotwell seems to run fine without rest installed.

Are you sure it needs all three packages installed to get the additional functionality? As I said shotwell will not even start up here without gst1-plugins-base installed and I didn't see any functionality changes with any combinations of rest and vala packages installed or uninstalled.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Hi laprjns ,

Yes, when installed without those three Shotwell acted as a traditional photo viewer but did not divide photos by date, event, tags etc... As soon as I installed the others it worked like usual. Only reason I was aware of those three was from building it for Slackware box for years. Seems that it needs them to build and to run with full functionality. It will run without them but less features.

Unless it was just me... :?:
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

So you installed each of the three packages one at a time , testing shotwell after each install to see if it was functioning properly and it didn't function properly until all three where installed? Is this correct? Or did you just install all three and found that it work after that?

Vala is a Gnome compiler. It is need to compile shotwell, but does not need to be installed to run shotwell or enable any of the features.

rest is needed for the Publishing feature, which doesn't work in the package due to a configuration issue. This configuration issue resulted in Publishing feature not working and therefore rest not being detected as a run time dependance.
So from what i can determine, gst1-plugins-base should have been installed when shotwell was, vala is not needed at arun time and rest was not needed because of the configure error at build. However, none of this address your function issue with the grouping and sorting. When I fist start up shotwell, i also get cluster of photos, but if I go the the view menu and check Sidebar then I get a sidebar listing which groups the photos by dates

I will rebuilt the package to fix the Publishing problem and submit for upload to the repo as a bug fix.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Installed all three when I noticed they were missing, was trying to figure out why the program did not look the way it normally does. If I remember correctly the ghost package was installed but not the other, perhaps it did not pull it in? I am leaning towards that since the others are only needed to build.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Problem turn out to be a build error, not missing dependencies. Here a link to the new packages

http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/shotwell/0.15.1/

New package has been submitted for possible update to the repo