Bluetooth adapter not found [SOLVED]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
rsal

Bluetooth adapter not found [SOLVED]

Post by rsal »

I have installed Salix-mate-14.1- basic install with further software installed with spi (and no other package manager!). I have a bluetooth dongle attached but it is not found by blueman and bluedevil. Blueman gives message: "No adapters found". The commands with their output are as follows:

Code: Select all

$ lsusb
us 004 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
$ hcitool scan
Device is not available: No such device
I have bluez, hci, obex, imagemagick, python notify etc packages installed.

How can I solve this? Thanks for your help.
Last edited by rsal on 19. Feb 2016, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
alberto

Re: Bluetooth adapter not found

Post by alberto »

Try "# hcitool scan"
That is root #.

If nothing improves the case could owe to hardware or module.
Does the USB port healthy? The dongle?
rsal

Post by rsal »

I tried another port but still adapter is not found. Following command was run as root:

# hcitool scan
Device is not available: No such device
while it is there on lsusb:

# lsusb
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
The dongle works all right with another distribution on the same system.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The dongle works all right with another distribution on the same system.
You may need to upgrade the kernel. If you search the forum, you will find links to some recent packages uploaded by gapan.

The tricky part is making sure you can still boot your system afterwards. You say you have a multi-boot setup. If the bootloader was installed by an installation other than your Salix one, just boot that and update it; if you're using Lilo installed by Salix, you need to ensure the relevant partitions are mounted to the mount points specified in /etc/lilo.conf, as well as editing it to point at the new kernel.

Note that you need to install three packages - the kernel itself, and the correponding kernel-firmware and kernel-modules.
rsal

Post by rsal »

I checked with spi and I have following kernel package status:

kernel-firmware [Installed]: kernel-firmware (Firmware for the kernel)
kernel-headers [Installed]: kernel-headers (Linux kernel include files)
kernel-huge-smp [Installed]: kernel-huge-smp (a fully-loaded SMP Linux kernel)
kernel-modules-smp [Installed]: kernel-modules (SMP Linux kernel modules)
kernel-source [Installed]: kernel-source (Linux kernel source)

kernel-generic [Not installed]: kernel-generic (a general purpose single processor Linux kernel)
kernel-generic-smp [Not installed]: kernel-generic-smp (a general purpose SMP Linux kernel)
kernel-huge [Not installed]: kernel-huge (a fully-loaded single processor Linux kernel)
kernel-modules [Not installed]: kernel-modules (single CPU Linux kernel modules)
The command 'uname -a' shows 3.10.17-smp to be the current version.
Which packages should I install? Or should I install from this page: http://people.salixos.org/gapan/kernel-4.1.4/ as discussed here (http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6628) ? Then I probably need:

kernel-4.1.4/kernel-huge-smp-4.1.4_smp-i686-1gv.txz 
kernel-modules-smp-4.1.4_smp-i686-1gv.txz 
kernel-firmware-20150804git-noarch-1gv.txz 
Am I right?

For installing these, will command installpkg replace previous, already installed kernel or will both kernels will be available to choose from? Or should I first remove previous kernel along with its firmware and modules?

I have another Linux installation on this computer, from where I can do 'update-grub' and get back this partition after kernel installation.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

On salix-mate64 bit these packages are installed
obex-data-server-0.4.6-x86_64-2
obexftp-0.23-x86_64-9
obexfs-0.12-x86_64-1
blueman-r708-x86_64-4_slack14.1
bluez-firmware-1.2-x86_64-1
bluez-4.99-x86_64-3
bluez-hcidump-2.4-x86_64-1
libbluedevil-1.9.3-x86_64-1

Connection with my mobile phone Samsung core duos GT-S7562 was successful. I received a message to connect to my mobile and i was able to send a png file from my GT-S7562 to darkstar-0 and from darkstar-0 to receive a png file from darkstar-0 Laptopg8050 (kernel is 4.1.18)
So be sure that all above files are installed.
And try again.
Edit: It is working also with 3.10.17 kernel.
rsal

Post by rsal »

I have all these installed, although I think libbluedevil will be needed only for bluedevil and not for blueman.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I did a full installation of salix-mate. So maybe there is some package missing since you did a basic installation.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Am I right?

For installing these, will command installpkg replace previous, already installed kernel or will both kernels will be available to choose from? Or should I first remove previous kernel along with its firmware and modules?
Yes, those are the ones you want - they're not in the repositories.

As it happens, I recently did this myself, upgrading the packages in question with

sudo spkg -u
which indeed removes the old ones; that's what I'd recommend. Should there be a problem meaning you need to revert to the old kernel, all you need do is boot into runlevel three (no GUI) and reinstall the packages using slapt-get.

If you do want both kernels as boot options (you'll get a very long Grub menu though), I think installpkg will do that, but better wait for someone who knows for sure to confirm it. But if the new kernel works, there will be no reason ever to boot with the old one.

Note that you should not alter the kernel-headers package (it is installed on your system).

However, as djemos says, the trouble may not be with the kernel at all - it may be that because you did a Basic install, some needed package is missing.