Can't boot Salix -Openbox-14.1 on AMD K6-2 machines

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
junqueman

Re: Can't boot Salix -Openbox-14.1 on AMD K6-2 machines

Post by junqueman »

westms wrote:
junqueman wrote:Well I tried to try ( ;) ) the slackware-current-mini-install.iso I found at the link provided above. The CD burned from the iso wouldn't even try to boot; the machines - both of them- didn't recognize it as a bootable CD; they timed out and booted from the hard drive. I even tried in a more modern (but still old) machine, a 1.7GHz Celeron; same result. md5sum checked OK on the iso.
Yes, strange things happen.

Please read isolinux/README.TXT on the CD or from the mounted image.
OK, I read that file (or tried to). Gotta tell ya, it's WAY over my head. I doubt I'd be able to successfully build the installation CD's discussed there, and I couldn't find where it's stated explicitly that the downloaded iso wasn't bootable. But that's just my (in)experience level exhibiting itself, I guess.
junqueman

Post by junqueman »

I believe that gapan has correctly identified the issue, therefore my original question has been answered. Thanks EVERYONE for your help. I'll try the next version of Salix with the updated kernel when it becomes available. If there was a way to mark this issue as "solved" I would do so, but I'm not seeing such an option on this board.
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

Do these machines boot from usb stick? or do you use floppy on the one that does not boot from DVD?

Btw, have you tried Ultimate Boot CD? That was my solution on PCs that do not boot from usb. Plop boot manager did the job and saved burning CDs..
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

I think you can alter title of 1st post btw.
junqueman

Post by junqueman »

coyotl wrote:Do these machines boot from usb stick? or do you use floppy on the one that does not boot from DVD?

Btw, have you tried Ultimate Boot CD? That was my solution on PCs that do not boot from usb. Plop boot manager did the job and saved burning CDs..
I have been booting from CD, but not DVD. Both machines have CD R/W drives, and one of them also has an old 5X DVD read-only drive, but it seems I can't boot from it. Perhaps it's because it's configured as a "slave" drive (?)

Neither of these machines have the ability to boot from USB.

Never tried the Ultimate Boot CD; I'm not familiar with it, but it seems I should change that.
rokytnji

Re: SOLVED: Can't boot Salix -Openbox-14.1 on AMD K6-2 machi

Post by rokytnji »

Roky, would it be possible to boot antix 15 (obviously on a pc where it boots), compile the latest stable kernel (make debs or just install it in live),
then remaster so that this kernel is a boot option or default in live? Maybe too much to ask but ..
The OP is not really computer savvy. Just learning as he goes with what he has available. Just wants to boot, install, and go. So yeah. Way above his paygrade. But he is learning a lot in the process.
That's not the reason
Care to clarify that statement?
The member junqueman has the cause been formulated correctly, only the fact is the member unaware.
You know for a fact Salix 14 boots up on i586 machines? Or are you just addressing the mini iso issue? I thought this thread was asking why Salix 14 won't boot on his machine which is i586. I was the one who suggested he ask here if Salix was i586 capable or not.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: SOLVED: Can't boot Salix -Openbox-14.1 on AMD K6-2 machi

Post by gapan »

rokytnji wrote:You know for a fact Salix 14 boots up on i586 machines?
Yes. As stated earlier.
westms

Post by westms »

junqueman wrote:
westms wrote:
junqueman wrote:Well I tried to try ( ;) ) the slackware-current-mini-install.iso I found at the link provided above. The CD burned from the iso wouldn't even try to boot; the machines - both of them- didn't recognize it as a bootable CD; they timed out and booted from the hard drive. I even tried in a more modern (but still old) machine, a 1.7GHz Celeron; same result. md5sum checked OK on the iso.
Yes, strange things happen.

Please read isolinux/README.TXT on the CD or from the mounted image.
OK, I read that file (or tried to). Gotta tell ya, it's WAY over my head. I doubt I'd be able to successfully build the installation CD's discussed there, and I couldn't find where it's stated explicitly that the downloaded iso wasn't bootable. But that's just my (in)experience level exhibiting itself, I guess.
I'm terribly sorry to have shown you this text, especially since it probably really does not help you. I try again and probably we come to a viable proposition.

You could not boot the CD with slackware-current-mini-install on three computers. Neither on both HOH, nor on the old, but newer Celeron.

It is very unlikely that the optical drives of all three computers to be defective at the same time. Therefore I excluded defective drives. But you have installed Ubuntu on the AMD K6-2 computer. If you can use the drive to read, it's not broken. Also you could try again to boot the Ubuntu CD and thus check of the drive is still working.

For the inabilities to boot, two other reasons may come into question, to my knowledge.

The first reason may lie in burning the CD. If the CD was written at too high speed, then it is usually not readable, i.e. not mountable or bootable. If the CD can not be mounted or read, but other CD's work on this drive, then the CD is bad. Burn then slackware-current-mini-install.iso again, but not faster than 2x or 4x.

The second reason for the boot deny may be in the BIOS. There are several modes through which the BIOS can boot from CD: "floppy emulation mode", "hard disk emulation mode" and "no emulation mode". In the first mode, the boot information is stored in a FAT floppy image file on the CD. This will be loaded and then used as a virtual floppy. In the second mode, the boot data is part of the CD-structure and be used directly from there. In the latter method, the BIOS must know itself, what to do in order to boot from CD. (all according to my memory, so it can also be somewhat inaccurate)

The slackware-current-mini-install.iso image has been created by mkisofs command using the switch "-no-emul-boot". Thus an image can be booted on a fairly modern computer. If your HOH BIOS is very old and therefore can not do without emulation, it sees nothing bootable on the CD.

First you may check if the CD was burned bad and therefore is unbootable. Because you can not boot the CD on a fairly modern Celeron computer, I think mainly on a poorly written CD.

At last but not least, the slackware-current-mini-install.iso image can be booted. I have no computer with AMD K6 CPU. I can boot the image on a computer with AMD Sempron, but that is AMD K8. And I can boot it on Intel Celeron (Pentium III). This is the oldest hardware I own.

It's all just a matter of proving that the error gapan has pointed to, is already fixed for AMD K6 in Slackware current. Then you could use Salix 14.2 on your HOH later.
junqueman

Post by junqueman »

I'm terribly sorry to have shown you this text, especially since it probably really does not help you. I try again and probably we come to a viable proposition.
Really, no apology is necessary. I appreciate all responses to my query that are posted in the spirit of assistance.
You could not boot the CD with slackware-current-mini-install on three computers. Neither on both HOH, nor on the old, but newer Celeron.

It is very unlikely that the optical drives of all three computers to be defective at the same time. Therefore I excluded defective drives. But you have installed Ubuntu on the AMD K6-2 computer. If you can use the drive to read, it's not broken. Also you could try again to boot the Ubuntu CD and thus check of the drive is still working.
As far as I can tell, all the drives are working fine. I have read from them often and receive no error messages, and have successfully booted Puppy Wary 5.5, and AntiX M8.5, from the drives in both K-6 machines in the past week.
For the inabilities to boot, two other reasons may come into question, to my knowledge.

The first reason may lie in burning the CD. If the CD was written at too high speed, then it is usually not readable, i.e. not mountable or bootable. If the CD can not be mounted or read, but other CD's work on this drive, then the CD is bad. Burn then slackware-current-mini-install.iso again, but not faster than 2x or 4x.
I think the CD is OK as well, as this morning I attempted and was able to boot it on my newest x86 machine - Intel E6550 2.33 GHz x 2 - as well is in a virtual machine running Virtual Box on a Mac OS-X host. I have also always been able to list/browse the files from the CD on all machines.
The second reason for the boot deny may be in the BIOS. There are several modes through which the BIOS can boot from CD: "floppy emulation mode", "hard disk emulation mode" and "no emulation mode". In the first mode, the boot information is stored in a FAT floppy image file on the CD. This will be loaded and then used as a virtual floppy. In the second mode, the boot data is part of the CD-structure and be used directly from there. In the latter method, the BIOS must know itself, what to do in order to boot from CD. (all according to my memory, so it can also be somewhat inaccurate)
I don't know how to check which mode is being used; there is nothing in the BIOS on the K6-2 or K6-III machines that specifies or allows one to change this. (I haven't checked the BIOS on the other machines for this.)
The slackware-current-mini-install.iso image has been created by mkisofs command using the switch "-no-emul-boot". Thus an image can be booted on a fairly modern computer. If your HOH BIOS is very old and therefore can not do without emulation, it sees nothing bootable on the CD.
I think this is the problem. The BIOS on the K-6 machines are pre-year 2000.
First you may check if the CD was burned bad and therefore is unbootable. Because you can not boot the CD on a fairly modern Celeron computer, I think mainly on a poorly written CD.
I think, based on what I covered in my responses above, that the CD is OK.
At last but not least, the slackware-current-mini-install.iso image can be booted. I have no computer with AMD K6 CPU. I can boot the image on a computer with AMD Sempron, but that is AMD K8. And I can boot it on Intel Celeron (Pentium III). This is the oldest hardware I own.
Yes, and I experienced the same this morning, as discussed above.
It's all just a matter of proving that the error gapan has pointed to, is already fixed for AMD K6 in Slackware current. Then you could use Salix 14.2 on your HOH later.
I checked the README file for the slackware-current-full iso, and it also indicates that the "-no-emul-boot" switch was used. So it seems like I'm in a Catch-22 situation: although the original issue that did not allow me to boot Salix 14.1 on my old hardware has reportedly been fixed in the new kernel, if the new kernel employs the"-no-emul-boot" switch, I'm still out of luck.

Thanks so much for the detailed, instructive responses.
westms

Post by westms »

junqueman wrote:I checked the README file for the slackware-current-full iso, and it also indicates that the "-no-emul-boot" switch was used. So it seems like I'm in a Catch-22 situation: although the original issue that did not allow me to boot Salix 14.1 on my old hardware has reportedly been fixed in the new kernel, if the new kernel employs the"-no-emul-boot" switch, I'm still out of luck.
:) So quickly we do not give up. You can feel lucky, because there is a solution of course. :D

If your HOH also has a floppy disk drive and you have at least one empty floppy, and then you would create a boot floppy disk, the BIOS boots a second stage boot loader from the floppy disk. This boot loader then loads the ISO install image from the CD drive. The second stage boot loader may need to be configured, but will you manage.

The following two links might help you:

Plop Boot Manager 5.0 - plpbt.bin
https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/plpb ... tml#runflp

The All In One Boot Floppy
http://schierlm.users.sourceforge.net/bootdisk/