Only root can perform this operation

Other talk about Salix
gvannauw

Only root can perform this operation

Post by gvannauw »

Hi everyone
I installed salix on a Thin Client this week with the sole purpose of having it serve as a printserver. I installed my network printer using cups, but had to change it's address to the ip address of the printer before it started reacting (lpd://<ip address>/BINARY_P1.
When i now try to print a test page to the printer, the only text appearing on the paper is the message
"Only root can perform this operation."

I have already removed and reinstalled the printer, unfortunately without success.

Can anyone offer a solution for this problem?

Tkx a million
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: Only root can perform this operation

Post by laprjns »

Try reinstalling the zzz-setting package:

Code: Select all

$ sudo spi -u
$ sudo slapt-get -i --reinstall zzz-settings
then restart the cups service

Code: Select all

$ sudo service restart cups
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gvannauw

Post by gvannauw »

thank you for your suggestion.

performed the actions (which ran without problems). Tried to print a test page ..unfortunately with the same result. Restarted the server and upon trying again, same problem occured.

below is the extract of the error_log

[17/Sep/2016:15:19:59 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service filesW
[17/Sep/2016:15:19:59 +0200] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service filesW
[17/Sep/2016:15:23:22 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service filesW
[17/Sep/2016:15:23:22 +0200] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files

Could it be that settings need be changed in the cupsd.conf file?.

B rgds
westms

Post by westms »

gvannauw wrote:thank you for your suggestion.

performed the actions (which ran without problems). Tried to print a test page ..unfortunately with the same result. Restarted the server and upon trying again, same problem occured.

below is the extract of the error_log

[...]

Could it be that settings need be changed in the cupsd.conf file?.

B rgds
Without the gimmick with zzz-settings, I would have said, it is necessary to consider whether,

for Salix 14.2:
the file /etc/cups/cups-files.conf contains a line "SystemGroup sys root wheel", or

for Salix 14.1:
the file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf contains this line.

But now...

The CUPS administrator must be a member of group wheel (/etc/groups).

Was Salix installed in full mode?
gvannauw

Post by gvannauw »

no, installation was in minimal mode, not full mode. Have I missed something??
westms

Post by westms »

gvannauw wrote:no, installation was in minimal mode, not full mode. Have I missed something??
Probably yes.

Whatever minimal mode is intended to mean, there are installation modes called Full, Basic and Core.

Read paragraph Installation in http://www.salixos.org/
and of course http://guide.salixos.org/103Installatio ... html#2_1_2

If there is no good reason for a different installation mode, then a new installation in full mode is advised, which lasts only some minutes.

Only out of interest, is the conscious line contained in the conscious file and is the CUPS administrator, which is the first user, member of the wheel group?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

look at cups, cups-filters dep files and install all these deps. Like qpdf, gutenprint,hplip etc. And then try to print again.
Also when reporting a problem please report the whole picture as the installation mode if it was not full.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Indeed cups is not installed at all in CORE mode. So you should install cups and cups-filters manually in that case.

But if you installed in BASIC mode, everything should be included anyway. You are not specifying exactly what you did, so I don't know.

And are you sure you can print from the same salix PC anyway? Can you print a pdf from the command line using the lp command? Maybe you didn't setup your printer properly. If you can, could it be that this is actually a problem with the PC you are trying to print from?
gvannauw

Post by gvannauw »

thank you everyone, for your comments
I installed it in basic mode I believe because I am running the system on a thin client system with limited diskspace. That's why I didn't go for the full mode.

I ran test prints from the thin client itself, so this should work. The drivers for the brother I MFC 9460 CDN were downloaded from the brother website. I used the drivers for the Linux RPM OS.. Perhaps I should have choosen the Linux DEB instead?
could that be the reason?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

If it is printing OK from the thin client itself, then there should be no problems on the thin client side. Have you enabled network printing? Maybe your problem is your other PC's configuration.