Is Salix 14.2 KDE Edition coming?

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Sybelius

Is Salix 14.2 KDE Edition coming?

Post by Sybelius »

Hi All,

As in the the title, I should like to know if any release of Salix 14.2 KDE Edition is planned.
I have been reading in the Wiki that is possible to add KDE but I don't know if is better to get it without XFCE already installed.
https://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_install_KDE_4
(Wiki talks about KDE 4, maybe asking for KDE 5 is too much) :D

Thank you for reading

Best Regards
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: Is Salix 14.2 KDE Edition coming?

Post by ChuangTzu »

Xfce just came out...other DE specific editions usually follow after. Be thankful Slackware kept KDE4, Plasma 5 is a buggy boiling mess right now. openSUSE users have been complaining alot about their decision to use Plasma5.
Sybelius

Post by Sybelius »

Thank you ChuangTzu.
Yes, KDE 4 was buggy too at beginning lol seems KDE guys always releasing in hurry.
Reading Alien Bob blog I saw he made KDE 5 avalaible for Slackware and I was thinking it is decent now.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Maybe this message has to be written to "Misc" forum category but since there are questions about the time kde or openbox etc salix editions will be released i will post it here.

Users ask for salix editions and then there is no real attention for testing betas. And salix edition remain in beta and never publiced as official. They just can download an iso running it and never again use it. Or go for another edition or different distro. There are many out there.
This happened in the past for 14.1 installation and live kde iso which even it is real functional and stable could not officially released because of real testing required (and never happened) for salix editions before become official.

I see now the same for salix-xfce-live 14.2. I have tested it and it is stable but there are no tests from users. This is going to lead to remain just a beta1.
To create an installation or live edition take too much time (compiling/recompiling/updating/adding packages, solve problems that occur between slackware new editions, time for testing 32 and 64 bit etc) and honestly i am really skeptical if it is worth for anyone to spent time for creating something which will remain a beta edition.

I really want your response and thoughts on this.
Sybelius

Post by Sybelius »

@ Djemos: - Hi! - Thank you for your kind answer. I don't know if is important/correct to make a different DE edition indeed.
I was asking because I have been using KDE edition of 14.0 and 14.1; they were working very well, I don't know if were beta edition or not, don't remember, was thinking normal procedure to release it.
If it is a problem, am not asking for it, already Salix Team doing big work, maybe I will try to add KDE myself on XFCE edition.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

@ Sybelius. My message was not an answer to your post or to anyone else. :)
I wrote my thoughts to make a conversation with everyone interesting.
Of course salix editions are very useful when they do officially released.
You can install kde but possibly will face problems i had and have solved. (e.g mounting folders or partitions need privileges, Booting on X etc.)
A lot of packages have been changed on 14.2 READ this
kde 5 is not ready yet and also not included in slackware 14.2.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

djemos wrote:I really want your response and thoughts on this.
Well Dimitris, I wouldn't worry that much about lack of testing by end users:
  • Neither Salix nor Slackel target use cases with lethal risks.
  • No sane user expects a Linux distribution to be 100% bug free.
  • You are an integrator. Probably the bugs that you can introduce as such are far less annoying than those found in included software, and you have no control over their testing by end users anyway.
  • There are plenty of examples of bugs (including security risks) that were found years (or even decades) after the release.
  • There is no way to make end users feel like testers if they don't.
When the leader of the distribution decides that it deserves the "released" status, so be it. If something really bad is discovered after that it will still be possible to provide an other release to fix that (IIRC this happened once in Slackware's history).

Just keep up the good work!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I do agree that proper testing is important, and if this has not been done, should be reflected by retaining the beta status. Otherwise new users will assume all Salix flavours are equally robust. There is no substitute for exposing the iso to different real environments - what works perfectly in one system may show unexpected behaviour on a different machine. This can be seen even with Salix Live Beta, despite only limited testing. Slowness, booting problems, and crashes with persistence afflict some users but not others, some USB sticks but not others.

Perhaps it would make sense to think about just three Salix flavours, a light one such as Openbox, the XFCE "Goldilocks" version, and something like KDE for those with hardware that allows it to perform well. I personally like Maté but I suspect it works quite well if you just install it over XFCE; from the sound of it, KDE requires a lot more work.