Can I use f.lux with Salix?

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
happydog500

Can I use f.lux with Salix?

Post by happydog500 »

I have been reading about Salix and when I get home I am going to install it. I do a lot of computer stuff at night and really like f.lux. f.lux takes the colors out of the monitor at night so it doesn't keep you awake when you go to bed.

Will I be able to use it in Salix? I read Salix doesn't recommend installing programs out side of their repository.

Thank you,
Chris.
Once you go Salix, you don't go back
maroman

Re: Can I use f.lux with Salix?

Post by maroman »

there is another application of similar functionality. I mean redshift. install redshift from slackbuild instead or with spi command.

cheers,
ride your bike
--
salix 14.1 (fluxbox, mate) on ancient boxes
happydog500

Post by happydog500 »

maroman wrote:there is another application of similar functionality. I mean redshift. install redshift from slackbuild instead or with spi command. cheers,
Thank you for the reply.

Chris.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I have used redshift in the past, and as I recall I needed to do some tweaking to get it running properly. Sorry that is not very helpful as it stands, but I may be able to help troubleshoot; on the other hand, it might be useful for other users to know if anything does need to be done to make it work.

You do need to turn it off if you are watching video, though ;)
maroman

Post by maroman »

to run it properly config file $HOME/.config/redshift.conf should be created. redshift behavior depends on your settings, your position included. of coure you can run redshift without config file but in this case you should pass all needed date as a command parameters. documentation to the app is quite clear. look here http://jonls.dk/redshift/.

cheers,
ride your bike
--
salix 14.1 (fluxbox, mate) on ancient boxes
happydog500

Post by happydog500 »

I found Salix to be frustrating to use. I deleted it and went back to Mint. Since 18 has very bad problems with my video, I can't keep using it (boot to blank screen, have to unhook monitor to boot up, then plug in monitor to get it to work). I loved the way Salix felt. It was so smooth and seemingly stable.

Couldn't get flux or redshift to work. When I clicked on redshift, it would show up in the system tray for a second then go away. No GUI (even tho I installed it). That was the straw that broke the camels back.

Thousands of Linux Programs install what you need to run the program. I can't understand why redshift doesn't have what you need when you install it.

Thank you for the replies,
Chris.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

I just installed redshift with the command "spi -i redshift"

You need to provide options in the command line, like latitude and longitude.

Thus it's better to start it from a terminal (and that will tell you what goes wrong or is missing in the command).

To know more type in a terminal "man redshift".
happydog500

Post by happydog500 »

OK, thank you. in MInt, you just click and it installs the program and the dependency's. Click on fluxgui and it installs the gui. I thought that's what salix "Lazy" was all about? No problem, having to use and expand using the terminal is a good thing and something I like doing.

Chris.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

happydog500 wrote:OK, thank you. in MInt, you just click and it installs the program and the dependency's. Click on fluxgui and it installs the gui. I thought that's what salix "Lazy" was all about? No problem, having to use and expand using the terminal is a good thing and something I like doing.

Chris.
happydog, Its "Linux for the Lazy Slacker" not lazy in general. Although, with use it does become quite easy to use and understand since very little stands between you and the system. I've installed Redshift in the past and it worked fine, the man pages are pretty good. Although sometimes the dimmed screen made me think I was looking at another persons computer through the window...LOL....

terminal will almost always tell you whats wrong or missing with a program, GUI will just let you know its not working....