[SOLVED] i3 package in sourcery is defective

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
jsfarinet

[SOLVED] i3 package in sourcery is defective

Post by jsfarinet »

Since i failed to install via sourcery the - there existing - package of the windowmanager i3 i tried to do it by hand with those downloaded from SlackBuild.org. But that's defective too (the filei3-4.13.tar.bz2 is missing. Someone is capable to correct that?
Last edited by jsfarinet on 21. Nov 2016, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
DidierSpaier

Re: i3 package in sourcery is defective

Post by DidierSpaier »

Just type:

Code: Select all

sudo spi -i i3
Sourcery just grabs the source file and builds the package, but in addition spi find and installs the missing dependencies that are available as pre-built packages but not as SlackBuilds in the slackbuilds.org web site(*).

Also the slackbuilds.org website never stores the source files, so it's normal that you didn't find it there, iin other words it's not "missing".

How spi works is well explained in its man page, "man spi".

PS I just used "spi -i i3" and it worked :)

(*) To elaborate a bit, slackbuilds.org does not provide packages: it provides the files needed to build one, but the source package whose URL or download link is indicated in their .info files.

PS Also, when building a package from the stuff @ slackbuilds.org sometimes you will miss a dependency. this is the case for i3, I had to type also "spi -i i3status" to make i3 happy.
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

To me it gives an error:

find: "/usr/src/slapt-src/desktop/i3/package-i3/usr/man": file or directory does not exist
fakeroot -- sh i3.SlackBuild failed
??

Sourcery fails with the same error.

PS. The error i started from in my previous msg was given to me running (the SBO) script 'i3.SlackBuilds'
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

jsfarinet wrote: CODE: SELECT ALL
find: "/usr/src/slapt-src/desktop/i3/package-i3/usr/man": file or directory does not exist
fakeroot -- sh i3.SlackBuild failed

??
You need to install linuxdoc-tools

$ sudo spi -i linuxdoc-tools
All Slackbuild packages assume a full install of Slackware, which Salix is not. linuxdoc-tools is included in a full Slackware install.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

Wow! Thanks a lot!!! :P :D