Salix on Chromebook

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Salix on Chromebook

Post by mimosa »

I'm thinking of getting a Chromebook (when I'm in Europe on a forthcoming trip), and a friend recommended the Acer C720:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ac ... Chromebook

As ever, Arch's documentation of the conversion process looks thorough.

Has anyone tried it with this model or another one?

EDIT

This also looks interesting, and you can install the OS of your choice - it doesn't have to be Ubuntu:

http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com.br/20 ... -with.html
rokytnji

Re: Salix on Chromebook

Post by rokytnji »

Necro post since I am a new member. Doing my own research. Owning a Acer C710. Bricking it (Breaks it), Then unbricking it (Fix breakage)
is documented sorta over at
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... mment40007

Bohdi Linux developer is now history. Jeff was one of the few who massaged a kernel to give the touchpad on a chromebook some love.
1st thing one usually has to configure by hand is the touchpad funtions to get them all working properly with the right kernel modules
so one does not need a external mouse to use the chromebook.

After bricking and then fixing mine. I am not in a hurry anymore to spend a couple of weeks untangling it again. They are proprietary hardware wise. A hard lesson to learn when one turns one into a door stop.

Anyways, if one wants to pick up a chromebook. I have done a lot of trail blazing on my own already.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I did eventually get the C720, and it works satisfactorily with the 3.10.17 kernel - everything except the trackpad, which apparently is supported by the latest kernel (3.17, I believe). I can't remember how I turned off OS verification, but I didn't do the thing where you open the case, remove a screw, and issue a command to make the initial screen go away permanently. Sound works with this ~/.asoundrc file from the arch wiki:

Code: Select all

# Standard
pcm.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
  device 0
}

ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}

pcm_slave.slavej {
  pcm "hw:1"
  channels 2
  rate 44100
}

pcm.plugj {
  type plug
  slave slavej
}

# HDMI
#pcm.!default {
  #type hw
  #card 1
  #device 3
#}

#ctl.!default {
  #type hw
  #card 0
#}
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm reinstalling 14.2 on it - which I think I did successfully not long ago - but I get a kernel panic some way into boot. I've tried various boot parameters such as rootdelay, acpi=off, and different values of mem=XXXXm, to no avail.

Can anyone think of anything else I should try?

mem=1496m works for Slackel 7.0 (and it will not boot without it), but not Salix 14.2.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Are you sure your installation medium is OK?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

There is always that I suppose - but I did use the same one when I tried Slackel, and that image boots ok with the memory parameter. That would have been fine for now, but I had trouble with sli.

I'm pretty sure that was the same stick, and Salix image, I used to install 14.2 on my main machine. I have now dd'd Slackel over the top of it.

It may just be a case of trial and error, but I can't really think of anything else to try.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Problem solved by putting the Salix image back on that stick. Sorry to waste your time!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Six years later ... and still going strong! :mrgreen: I am upgrading to 15.0, and needed to boot with the same "mem" parameter.

The only reason for this is I need a recent pulseaudio to talk to some fancy bluetooth headphones I have. Or at least, the upgrade seemed the simplest way :roll:

Isn't Salix great?
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Great to see the update! I have a few years left on a Chromebook and look forward to doing the same after its EOL.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The partition scheme was /, and separate /home. I never do this because of problems like this:

- the widgets and icons and such don't look right, for example, I see four grey black boxes at bottom left instead of xterm, thunar, browser, leafpad.

Is there an easy way to tidy it up?

I tried "Rebuild icon cache", but it still doesn't look right. Not a big deal really.

Edit - never mind, I just reinstalled!