14.2 with Openbox or Fluxbox

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
AlYuSed

14.2 with Openbox or Fluxbox

Post by AlYuSed »

I want a very lightweight window manager. It may be easier to download XFCE edition and install Core + X set + Fvwm95 or something like that? What would you recommend?
Anyone who on 24 October, 1917 had a chance to snort cocaine on the deserted and inhuman Petrograd avenues, knows that man is not the king of nature. -- Victor Pelevin, "Crystal world"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: 14.2 with Openbox or Fluxbox

Post by mimosa »

I'd go for the full Xfce version (unless your hard disk is under ~15GB) and just install the WM of your choice. There is a wide selection in the repositories.

A package for ratpoison is available here - for some reason it never got uploaded to the repositories. That's what I use myself.
http://people.salixos.org/mimosa/packag ... /20160706/

Slackel comes in an Openbox flavour:
http://www.slackel.gr/forum/about.htm
However, unlike Salix, this is based on Slackware current, though it is very stable in everyday use.
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

mimosa wrote:I'd go for the full Xfce version (unless your hard disk is under ~15GB) and just install the WM of your choice. There is a wide selection in the repositories.
Nice idea! Although then have to clean up too much...
A package for ratpoison is available here - for some reason it never got uploaded to the repositories.
I wonder why?
That's what I use myself.
I've been wanting to try something like this.
Slackel comes in an Openbox flavour: However, unlike Salix, this is based on Slackware current, though it is very stable in everyday use.
Apparently, You meant to say "not very stable". Then it does not suit me.
Anyone who on 24 October, 1917 had a chance to snort cocaine on the deserted and inhuman Petrograd avenues, knows that man is not the king of nature. -- Victor Pelevin, "Crystal world"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

AlYuSed wrote: Apparently, You meant to say "not very stable". Then it does not suit me.
I use Slackel Openbox as my main OS for everyday use. It is stable. Just give it a try. :)
Any problem might appeared is corrected at once.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

You could also try Slint version 14.2. It includes a choice of lighweight WM, including TWM, Blackbox, Fluxbox, FVWM. Cf: http://slint.fr

Or if you are a bit adventurous, see this post. When Slint64-14.2.1 will be officially released, you will just have to change back the repo from slint-testing to slint-14.2.
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

Oh, I'm feeling picky bride, spoiled by attention from numerous suitors.

I'm only a few days finally decided to install Linux. I studied Linux, when I was a student (and even promoted it in my University), but that was long ago. My first distros was Red Hat 5.2 and Slackware 7. I liked Red Hat more because it was easier to understand, without being able to consult. In those terrible times I had no Internet access.

I'm always interested in Linux and other operating systems, even had a period a couple of years when I used OS/2 as primary OS. It was a happy time, because this operating system is very reliable, productive and convenient. However, it was a hobby on my personal computer, but I was always hired to work with Windows-based technologies. I even still lying around somewhere at home a licensed versions of OS/2 Warp 3.0 and eComStation 2.0. If I find them, then install on VirtualBox for nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDY72RhxkP4

However, the time came when I had to abandon OS/2. Just at this time Windows become more or less acceptable in terms of reliability. Yes, and computers have become more powerful. I was several years quite happy with Windows XP and 7. Now, however, I needed to perform tasks, a little more serious than surfing the Internet and watching videos. And once it became clear that Windows is practically applicable for serious work. Even Windows 10 LTSB did not suit me! But I need Windows and, sometimes, Visual Studio. I began looking for a suitable Linux distribution, but most of them also did not work for me. I need something reliable and lightweight to run virtual machines with various varieties of Windows and Visual Studio. I don't want to waste time on administration of Linux. Recently, I tried several Linux and read a lot of articles about various distributions. Someone will say that it's pointless because it's all the same Linux. Any Linux can be customized. I was talking to other people. But now I just want everything I need (and it's only a few things), worked immediately after installation and didn't require constant attention. I don't want to be at the forefront of progress, as in Arch or Fedora. When I read this articles, I remembered my bad (through my own fault, of course) experience with Slackware. By the way, the fact that this man, who for many years tried a lot of Linux (he led a dedicated Linux column in a Russian computer magazine), chose Salix for himself and his family, made a big impression on me. He even wrote a book!

So, I need a reliable, comfortable and a thin layer to do their business. Nothing special: surfing the Internet, movies, music, programming, virtual machine. By the way, I gave myself a deadline of the end of last week. So I'm already behind schedule. :( I almost chose the final distribution, and now you make me choose between Salix, Slackel, and Slint. I'm kidding, of course, a couple days mean nothing. It's too important a question for me. I don't want to reinstall Linux again. I've already installed a few, now I write from under the Alt Linux Workstation 8. Despite the fact that it is the Russian enterprise edition (paid for organizations but not for individuals) I'm not happy with it.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Not to influence your decision in any way, but Slint installer can be used in Russian. And if you do, or choose a Russian locale for your installed system, you will get main software in Russian out of the box, including Firefox, Thunderbird and LibreOffice :mrgreen:
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

DidierSpaier wrote:Not to influence your decision in any way, but Slint installer can be used in Russian. And if you do, or choose a Russian locale for your installed system, you will get main software in Russian out of the box, including Firefox, Thunderbird and LibreOffice :mrgreen:
I do not need either Thunderbird or LibreOffice at all. Firefox will probably replace with something lighter, such as QupZilla. And I have no problem to read English, I even had read fiction and science-fiction. Now just once, I have not read even Russian books, except computer science. I want to create a simple compiler (not for the public, of course, just for self-improvement). But in any case, thanks for the offer, I am now studying features of Slackel and Slint. If I understand correctly, Slackel is a rolling release Salix, and Slint - international version of Slackware. Of course, I understand that they represent something more, but I'm talking about features that are visible from the height of bird flight.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

I suppose if you don't want to install 14.2 with Xfce and then add a WM, you could install 14.1 Fluxbox version and just upgrade it to 14.2. But unless you have extremely limited space the first option is the easiest.
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

Yes, I install it on VM! It was easy. Write from Salix right now. I'll try install Salix Core and Slackel tomorrow. Good night!