First five minutes in Salix

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
AlYuSed

First five minutes in Salix

Post by AlYuSed »

Hello!

I just installed Salix, only changed the Wallpaper and mouse cursors. :) By the way, when I set up the mouse, I noticed two oddities: in the settings have been specified my USB-keyboard instead of USB-mouse, and the theme Obsidian present in two copies.

In addition, I'm trying to update the system. I ran Gslapt and updated the package cache. The system asked me to update quite a lot packages. With some excluded (the glibc and kernel). I think, it is quite safe to update it now, because the system is just installed, and the worst thing that could happen is that I will reinstall it. :)

In addition, the system asked me to upgrade xscreensaver. I don't like screensavers, so I would like to remove it. However, Gslapt does not allow me to delete it, I can only cancel the update. Apparently, these two actions cannot be performed simultaneously. It is necessary to first remove xscreensaver, and then upgrade all other packages. OK?

Last but not least. For the sake of curiosity I read the description of the updated packages. Very interesting! The maintainers are doing a great, difficult and important work. I would like something to help, but the help is necessary to me. :) In particular, I noticed that the libcgroup package has this warning:
Rebuilt. This is a bugfix package update. Fixed rc.cgred to source the correct config file. Don't remove the entire cgroup file system with "rc.cgconfig stop". Thanks to chris.willing. NOTE: Be sure to install any .new config files.
This means that I have to take some actions after updating? And what would have happened if I hadn't been so curious and did not notice this warning? I read about the dot-files, but so far I have little experience, I'm just afraid in unfamiliar surroundings. :(

Wanted to take a screenshot, but even this can not be done, I've install the Basic setup. Facepalm.
Anyone who on 24 October, 1917 had a chance to snort cocaine on the deserted and inhuman Petrograd avenues, knows that man is not the king of nature. -- Victor Pelevin, "Crystal world"
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: First five minutes in Salix

Post by ChuangTzu »

alot of upgrades, surely you are joking? There are some upgrades once installing 14.2 given that it was released last year, but far from alot of upgrades. I find it easier to upgrade via CLI but that is how I learned so its stuck with me.

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -upgrade
If you notice that kernel-huge kernel-firmware kernel-modules are listed for upgrade but does not upgrade because its blacklisted then:

sudo slapt-get -i kernel-huge kernel-firmware kernel-modules
(don't upgrade kernel-headers unless its a completely different kernel version)

you can remove xscreensaver via:

sudo slapt-get -remove xscreensaver
(although it also acts as a screen lock which is a nice feature but its your OS so have at it ;)

to update lilo after kernel upgrade:

sudo lilo -v
if you forget to update lilo before rebooting you will have a kernel panic on reboot!

then reboot
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

There is a tool named dotnew in the system menu (also a command line/ncurses app with the same name). Run it!

Also a good idea:

man salix
;)
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

All turned out, only cursor settings damaged. They seem sometimes "handhelds", sometimes default, depending on the window. I installed the default theme, then "handhelds" again, and now cursors are always "handhelds".

And that's what I meant when I said that XFCE sees the keyboard instead of the mouse.

I replaced all the dot-files, except for slapt-geprc and slapt-srcrc, because there was specified hosting hostingextreme, but it's not working, isn't it? In the file slapt-srcrc was specified txz instead of tgz, so I replaced it manually. And why the system wanted to replace slapt-geprc, I do not understand, there seems to be nothing has changed.

In fact yesterday I started this thread to show off my desktop in five minutes after installation. However, there are too many problems. I hope I have solved them. So show my refreshed Salix.

Anyone who on 24 October, 1917 had a chance to snort cocaine on the deserted and inhuman Petrograd avenues, knows that man is not the king of nature. -- Victor Pelevin, "Crystal world"
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

AlYuSed wrote:All turned out, only cursor settings damaged. They seem sometimes "handhelds", sometimes default, depending on the window. I installed the default theme, then "handhelds" again, and now cursors are always "handhelds"
Xfce loads the cursor theme you've set (in Settings->Mouse & Touchpad) on top of the default cursor theme. This sometimes causes what you have experienced (in some windows you see the default cursor, in others you see the one you have set). Same problem occurs in Openbox (and probably other display managers). To get rid of it once and for all, change the default cursor theme to the one you like, as follows.
You will find a symbolic link in /usr/share/icons named "default" which links to the directory /usr/share/icons/obsidian-cursors. This defines the default cursor theme. You can change that to any other available theme. For example, the following

sudo ln -sf /usr/share/icons/Vanilla-DMZ /usr/share/icons/default
This will change the default cursor theme to Vanilla-DMZ. Then in Xfce setings change the cursor theme to "Default", and you won't have any unexpected cursor theme changes anymore.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

Thanks! I have removed Obsidian and Vanilla-DMZ themes. I absolutely do not like both. I am now looking for a suitable cursors. :)
westms

Post by westms »

All Salix mouse pointers are shadowed. I do not like shadows, so I searched for a white, small-sized pointer composition that is shadow-free.

I found:
Classic Flat White Cursor without shadow, with outline https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1102959/
which makes me happy.

Customized file: index.theme:

[icons]$ cat Classic-Flat-White/index.theme 
[Icon Theme]
Name=Classic Flat White
Comment=Classic Flat White Cursor without shadow, with white outline
Example=left_ptr
[icons]$
AlYuSed wrote:I am now looking for a suitable cursors. :)
Here https://www.xfce-look.org/browse/cat/107/ord/latest/
or here https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/cat/107/ord/latest/
are still a few, which are worth looking at them.
For example, https://www.gnome-look.org/p/999677/ :)
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

westms wrote:All Salix mouse pointers are shadowed. I do not like shadows, so I searched for a white, small-sized pointer composition that is shadow-free.

I found:
Classic Flat White Cursor without shadow, with outline https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1102959/
which makes me happy.
I also do not like overloaded with details cursors such as Protozoa
It looks spectacular in the screenshots, but bothers in a couple of days.
Although I have nothing specifically against the shadows.

I once was interested in BeOS, it has the best interface I've seen in my life. I liked this BeOS-like theme, but it's discontinued.
There is nice BeOS-like cursors from same author.

By the way, maybe someone will help me to remember. I once saw in some kind of review of Linux on YouTube an interesting effect: around the cursor flashed luminous points, like comets. They moved very nicely after the cursor. Does anyone know what program it was? Maybe I could even write this if I knew the appropriate mathematical formulas.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

AlYuSed wrote: By the way, maybe someone will help me to remember. I once saw in some kind of review of Linux on YouTube an interesting effect: around the cursor flashed luminous points, like comets. They moved very nicely after the cursor. Does anyone know what program it was? Maybe I could even write this if I knew the appropriate mathematical formulas.
I assume that you mean something looking like in this page. It's written in javascript, but you get the idea.
AlYuSed

Post by AlYuSed »

DidierSpaier wrote:
AlYuSed wrote: By the way, maybe someone will help me to remember. I once saw in some kind of review of Linux on YouTube an interesting effect: around the cursor flashed luminous points, like comets. They moved very nicely after the cursor. Does anyone know what program it was? Maybe I could even write this if I knew the appropriate mathematical formulas.
I assume that you mean something looking like in this page. It's written in javascript, but you get the idea.
Thank you, I looked. I was referring to another effect, but it doesn't matter. I want to do something useful at least. And I can use it for portfolio. Can You suggest what I could do? Maybe there's some abandoned project? I even wanted to rewrite bsd-games in C++ (or C, but using object-orientation). But I doubt that it will be useful to someone. By the way, my favorite language C#. :)

P.S. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHRPTrnKiAI