claws, zfs, and mail server

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Spiff

claws, zfs, and mail server

Post by Spiff »

I was wondering why claws mail was chosen instead of thunderbird, and the reason for using zfs? instead of ext4.

It's not that am particular to thunderbird or ext4; I am just curious as to the reason why.

P.S. would recommend the mail server as a replacement to say outlook or gmail?
Spiff

Re: claws, zfs, and mail server

Post by Spiff »

my bad. I thought we used zfs. anyways, I found this, and it answers why we use xfs instead of ext4; it's simple, it works, and it's faster.

As for claws, I'm assuming it was chosen because it's very lightweight?

https://serverfault.com/questions/190/zfs-vs-xfs

not crazy about zfs after reading this. xfs is faster and a lot simpler. CRC benefits of zfs are minimal at best. A good backup is still the best way. :D
westms

Post by westms »

Spiff wrote:my bad. I thought we used zfs. anyways, I found this, and it answers why we use xfs instead of ext4; it's simple, it works, and it's faster.

As for claws, I'm assuming it was chosen because it's very lightweight?

https://serverfault.com/questions/190/zfs-vs-xfs

not crazy about zfs after reading this. xfs is faster and a lot simpler. CRC benefits of zfs are minimal at best. A good backup is still the best way. :D
Neither ZFS nor XFS is set by the distribution. The type of the filesystem is freely selectable from a number of filesystems, including ext4. After the partitioning, you probably did not take care and thus inadvertently set up XFS. What do you think?

I do not know the decisions that led to the selection / choice of Claws Mail, but I am positively taken with this decision. Claws Mail is fast and relatively small. Operation is easy. Only the filter rules are in my opinion a mistake. Also the search function for the mail search is still to be improved. After Salix installation, Claws Mail does not belong to the vital software and can be exchanged against others at any time. For me, Claws Mail is the better choice against Thunderbird. Already, because it uses the better method of mail storage by default, namely the Mail Handler (MH) System. The MH system in Claws-Mail can still be used today via the program packages nmh (mh) or xmh. Therefore, I was also very pleased to find the mail client Claws Mail pre-installed on Salix.
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

XFS is the default selection in the install, so I thought that most everyone used xfs, and I was just curious as to what the difference between it and ext4. After looking at all of the file systems I understand the differences between them all.

Thanks for the advice on claws mail westms. Being a longtime thunderbird user, I was just wanting someone's opinion on claws mail that used it on a regular basis as they would know more about it than anyone.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

I generally use claws-mail, however, on occasion I do use seamonkey since yahoo for some reason is no longer compatible with claws. haven't figured out why, seems like a recent change.
westms

Post by westms »

ChuangTzu wrote:I generally use claws-mail, however, on occasion I do use seamonkey since yahoo for some reason is no longer compatible with claws. haven't figured out why, seems like a recent change.
Do you say, Claws Mail is no longer working with Yahoo?

Besides others, I also use Yahoo '@ymail.com' with POP3 and SMTP and do not have problems (Claws Mail
version 3.13.2).

My essential account settings are (designations are not literal, since no English setting):

Code: Select all

server data:
  general:
    protocol POP3: "configure automatically": do not click

server for receiving: pop.mail.yahoo.com
    SMTP server (send):smtp.mail.yahoo.com

user-id: set with user-id == email address
    password: set with password

receive:
  POP3:
    use save authentication (APOP): not checked

send:
  authentication:
    SMTP authentication (SMTP AUTH): checked
    authentication method: automatic
    user-id and password: empty

SSL:
   use SSL for POP3 connections: chosen
   use SSL for SMTP connections: chosen

use non-blocking SSL: checked

extended:
  SMTP port: checked and set to 465
  POP3 port: checked and set to 995
Maybe it helps.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

hi west,

interesting, I use imap instead of pop3, always worked then about 2-3 months ago it stopped working (only for yahoo, another server works just fine). When I dug a little deeper it appears Yahoo "tightened" their security after Verizon bought them. If I log in via browser I receive a popup to disable allowing third party email clients since they are not as secure as logging in via browser. The options offered are yes disable or no leave it alone I understand the risks.

Thunderbird and Seamonkey still work with Yahoo and imap. Perhaps, claws is not yet using a setting that Yahoo now wants and it only applies to imap not pop3?
westms

Post by westms »

Hi ChuangTzu,
ChuangTzu wrote:[...]I use imap instead of pop3
I had already feared this, yes, I even assumed that IMAP is used. But in the case of the cases, I still wanted mention my working settings.

The problem has already been discussed in the forum. At that time with GMX. In my search on the web, I found out that some other mail clients were affected as well. At that time, GMX had changed some of the authentication. I myself and at least one other forum member were also affected. One forum member had succeeded by using weaker account settings. But I did not want that and had created a new package from the stable source, which happily corrected the problem. Later, gapan had provided a package with the same version level on people.salixos. At that time I could also see in the web that other email service providers were also cause of disturbances for different mailclients.
If I log in via browser I receive a popup to disable allowing third party email clients since they are not as secure as logging in via browser. The options offered are yes disable or no leave it alone I understand the risks.
That's a bit thick! Yahoo has been cracked several times and is responsible for millions of misappropriation of customer data. Their online webmail client can not create an RFC-compliant mail, and this company scolds "third party email clients" as a risk taker.
Thunderbird and Seamonkey still work with Yahoo and imap.
Are Thunderbird and Seamonkey up-to-date? Claws Mail version 3.13.2 in Salix is not, because it is from 19 January 2016. The current Claws Mail version is 3.15.1, from 29 August 2017.
Perhaps, claws is not yet using a setting that Yahoo now wants and it only applies to imap not pop3?
This is also possible. But the necessary data is practically the same, only a different SSL port number. Have a look:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4075.html
Are these your account settings? If Yahoo has changed something, then the question arises how quickly they update such information. One can not do without SSL or use STARTTL. Still as an addition to my previous listing: basically, SSL port numbers can be area-dependent.

By the way:
On 18 August 2017, for the first time, I received a message from Yahoo, which told me that Yahoo is now part of Oath, which is a member of the Verizon group. Mainly, I was told that they want to share my data with other companies and that they would deal very very carefully with my data. Well, they don't have data of mine. :D Let's see if they notice this. I'm curious about what's going to happen.
Change: incorrect word
Last edited by westms on 5. Sep 2017, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
westms

Post by westms »

Spiff wrote:XFS is the default selection in the install, [...]
You're right, Spiff. I reinstalled yesterday and noticed which file system was already marked.
Thanks for the advice on claws mail westms. Being a longtime thunderbird user, I was just wanting someone's opinion on claws mail that used it on a regular basis as they would know more about it than anyone.
Is Thunderbird fetching and storing email or does a local email server has this task?
Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Thunderbird fetches and stores email itself using pop3. It stores it in the /home/.thunderbird/xxxx-default/mail folder. My only complaint with Thunderbird is that it stores all of the email as one file rather than as single files like in claws.