Much thanks to the Salix team!

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
phaeton
Donor

Much thanks to the Salix team!

Post by phaeton »

I started using Linux in the late 1990s, first Caldera OpenLinux 2.2, then later Slackware. Not sure what version I started with, but I ran it till 7.1. I loved Slackware, but it was at a time when I was learning about FOSS and installing every piece of software under the sun. This was building source code fetched over dialup, and after awhile the building and dependency resolution thing got to be tedious (I remember a time being 16 levels of dependencies deep into building The Gimp, while the sun was coming back up).

A friend gave me a Debian Potato CD around 2001 and Debian became my main squeeze for about 15 years. Debian was very kind to me during that time, but I also dabbled in other distributions here and there, and also the BSDs (which I like quite a lot). Like many, I found Debian's hurried move to systemd an unwelcome surprise. I went back to Slackware, but I couldn't build a 'minimal' system out of it and just add the software I use. The attitude of "just install everything" doesn't appeal to me.

I don't know how I found Salix about 9 months ago, but I'm so glad that I did. It's clean, it's fast, the package management is excellent, it's systemd-free and I really like the "one program per feature" philosophy. It even uses my beloved LILO! It's everything I loved about both Debian and Slackware, but without any of the bits I don't!

Thanks Salix team, I'm in love with Linux all over again!
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: Much thanks to the Salix team!

Post by ChuangTzu »

thanks for sharing, that was a great "testimonial". :D

and Welcome back to Slack!
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Sounds like pretty much my own story - with different words. Welcome aboard, phaeton.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I agree. I got into Linux via Ubuntu around a decade ago or so. That tainted my view of Linux. I switched to a few other Debian variants. That did not improve my view of Linux. Then I decided to experiment with a host of non-Debian distros. I found Salix and haven't looked back. This crew does an outstanding job maintaining the OS and making it the most stable, functional Linux distro I have ever played with.
Nate_KS

Post by Nate_KS »

I'll add my thanks as well.

I've been using Salix 14.2 daily on my Lenovo T410 laptop for several weeks. So far I have been very pleased.

I started playing with Slackware 3.0 back in the late summer of 1996. It was my first experience with anything other than MS-DOS and MS Windows 3.1, although I had a brief fling with OS/2 2.0 a year or so earlier that didn't last long. A few weeks later I replaced Slackware 3.0 with Slackware '96 and I was off and running, though I still booted back into Windows quite a bit. By early '97 I was using the Linux partition more and after buying a 1.2 GB hard drive (can you say wow!), I finally had enough drive space to install Xfree86. It was with some trepidation that I carefully reviewed the suggested mode line and fired up X for the first time! Old timers will recall what kind of fun that was.

That installation of Slackware served me for several years. It was getting long in the tooth as it was based on libc5 and the Linux world was moving to libc6, a.k.a. GNU libc 2. I moved over to Debian in late 1999 and finally installed Debian over the old Slackware installation in early 2000. Debian has served me well over the years. Unfortunately, as a system it became more opaque, though more automated and more likely to "just work". Regrettably, I just couldn't continue with the systemd path. I ran it for a while and though I had few issues with it, I felt increasingly disconnected from my systems.

With the formation of Devuan (a fork of Debian without systemd), I moved to it. Sadly, it appears the project may have stalled as the Beta 1 release was some months ago and its mailing list is increasingly more quiet. Also, some of the packages that make using a laptop much easier have various issues so I went looking elsewhere. I tried Slackware 14.2 for a bit and found mention of Salix on its Web pages and decided to give it a go. So far Salix has shown a nice balance between convenience of installing packages and having the accessibility of the system from startup to login that Slackware is famous for. It is working very well with my T410 and I was sold on Salix when using SSH to access my Debian boxes that Midnight Commander run on those boxes displays properly in Xfce Terminal or in a virtual console. For whatever reason, Slackware was not quite so polished.

Kudos to the Salix team. Your fine work has motivated me to become involved in Slackbuilds.org and to recommend Salix to others.
Ken Buck

Post by Ken Buck »

Salix is a great distro. It's been almost a year of using it as my main OS instead of VectorLinux. Thanks Salix Team. I do have Win 8.1 on another drive only for playing video games. Wouldn't
want to use it for anything else. :D