latest firefox package slow?

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

latest firefox package slow?

Post by mimosa »

I've found the newest Firefox from the repos is pretty slow, using a lot of both processor and memory capacity, with freezes on heavy pages. However, this could be a local problem as I'm away from home using a lightweight laptop. This machine has coped reasonably well with Firefox in the past, though.

I also tried the latest binary from Mozilla and it wasn't really any better.

Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just me?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: latest firefox package slow?

Post by gapan »

No, I can't say that I have noticed anything to that effect. Maybe try a fresh firefox profile?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I think it may have had something to do with NoScript, which I generally use. If I look it up among Firefox's Addons, it say it is incompatible with this version, and is disabled. It may have taken a while for that to filter through.
galmei

Post by galmei »

mimosa wrote: 15. Jun 2018, 09:19 I've found the newest Firefox from the repos is pretty slow, using a lot of both processor and memory capacity, with freezes on heavy pages. However, this could be a local problem as I'm away from home using a lightweight laptop. This machine has coped reasonably well with Firefox in the past, though.

I also tried the latest binary from Mozilla and it wasn't really any better.

Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just me?
My old computer has only a single-core CPU and also my internet access reaches only about 4 Mbit/s. I would have to notice a slow Firefox.

Nevertheless, a problem seems to exist and that does not necessarily have to be a Firefox problem. Firefox seems unstable. I recently had a crash. The result is the file /tmp/GeckoChildCrash3102.extra, with the content:

Code: Select all

MozCrashReason=MOZ_CRASH()
Since a memory expansion, I had previously no more crashes.
I think it may have had something to do with NoScript, which I generally use. If I look it up among Firefox's Addons, it say it is incompatible with this version, and is disabled. It may have taken a while for that to filter through.
I am using Firefox ESR version 52.8.1 (64-bit) along with NoScript version 5.1.7 and this works fine. When I set up this NoScript version, it was the latest version for this older Firefox line.

If you have allowed automatic updates, then maybe the current NoScript for the current Firefox is installed. Further down the NoScript product page is a link from which older versions can be selected.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks, I wasn't aware it might update itself to an incompatible version. I had to dig a little to find the "legacy" version, here:

https://noscript.net/getit#classic

Indeed, back home now, I find I have the latest Salix Firefox package with the right NoScript version; its upgrade option is set to "default", whatever that means. Unfortunately I no longer have access to the machine I was using before that had it wrong.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

legacy addons are causing problems with ESR, actually its more like Firefox's decision to move the addon platform to Quantum only is causing problems for ESR. I switched from NoScript to uMatrix, apparently NoScript is some security issues with its Quantum release, its not designed the same way or doesn't function as well. I will look for the link to that article.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

How are you finding uMatrix, and what do you think of it?
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

I like it now that I am used to it, was quite different from NoScript which I used for many years.

It's lighter, has more fine grain control. You can save settings per site or whitelist for all sites, also seems to "reveal" more trackers/scripts then NoScript.
This was quite thought provoking: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12624000

I now use uBlock Origin and uMatrix along with https everywhere, seems to be enough for general browser security, oh and Self Destruct cookies, which sadly is not interested in porting to Quantum so whenever 60 becomes the new LTS I suppose I will either switch to another cookie destroyer or just use the built in Firefox control. Although I liked having the ability to delete cookies when you close a tab or browser etc... instead of remembering to manually click to delete them.
Luffy

Post by Luffy »

uBlock Origin not compatible with 52.9.0-ESR ?? Firefox is very slow with ublock origin ... Any idea ... :-)

Saludos.
laplume
Donor

Post by laplume »

Hello,
Same happened to me. Currently switched to this one
https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/a ... k/?src=api
and seems to work fine.
rgds