Installer can't find the USB stick (solved it myself oops)

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
deadhorus

Installer can't find the USB stick (solved it myself oops)

Post by deadhorus »

Hi there,

I'm trying to install Salix from the installer ISO (not the liveCD). I copied it onto the USB stick properly using dd, the exact command shown in the manual. It boots perfectly fine and I can proceed through all the preparation bits easily...until I hit the point where it asks me to install from a source. For some reason, despite booting just fine from it, the installer can't see the USB stick whatsoever. I don't think it even mounted it. I'm not sure of the key combination to get myself into a terminal so I can mount it myself, and I've just wiped the disk already so it's not like I can easily reflash the usb drive or anything. I've tried searching for a fix for this but everything that comes up only pertains to the liveCD. The wiki and manual are of no use here since it just assumes everything is going to work without the need for troubleshooting, merely saying picking install from usb "should work". Please help me, thanks!
Last edited by deadhorus on 7. Aug 2018, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
deadhorus

Re: Installer can't find the USB stick

Post by deadhorus »

Ok never mind I found it myself. For those having this same issue: Select "Install from a hard drive partition", find your usb stick in the list of partitions (presumably /dev/sdb1), then point it to the /salix directory. Why it couldn't find the bloody usb stick itself, I don't know.