Size of Salix install?

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Lysander

Size of Salix install?

Post by Lysander »

Hi everyone,

I need a small Slackware-based OS. I am thinking of Vector but I am also interested in Salix. I only have 16GB of space to work with on the SDD. Does anyone know the size of a Salix install? I've searched the web but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for.
Artim
Donor

Re: Size of Salix install?

Post by Artim »

Salix needs very little room! 8-10 GB is probably plenty.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

jcoleman

Post by jcoleman »

You should be good with the 16GB. I've used 14GB with quite a few extras loaded, (some KDE games for the Mrs's, wine running a large program, virtualbox, gnucash and a few others). Worst case is download, install it and see (provided your bandwidth is halfway decent and mostly reliable, (it's fun waking up and checking an overnight download to find it "tanked" at some point :D). Once installed weed out programs you don't need or want. I haven't paid attention after a fresh install.
Anyway Salix has been an excellent "go to" Slackware derivative for me and has been my main "in house" OS for some time. I've used Slackware in the past but I've gotten a little lazy and don't particularly like KDE.
Just an FYI - I just did a kernel mod, compile, etc to get something to work (SMB3) to access a Wndoze machine over the network; followed the instructions for doing via the Slackware instructions and things turned out well; it worked first time, yaa.
laplume
Donor

Post by laplume »

Hello,
Looking at my 14.0 install Conky is telling me that the xfce version (in full install mode) is getting 5,6 GB on a 10GB partition (for system; /home is located on a different partition).
So on a 16GB drive you should have quite a lot of space available for your personal data or other applications to be installed.

Just my 2 cents...
Regards,
Antonio
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You'd probably better start with a Basic installation instead of a Full one and add only the software you need on top of that. It may be a little tricky at first if you need packages for wifi.

And you should make sure that you keep your package cache clean every now and then, especially after big package downloads.

Code: Select all

sudo spi --clean
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to add something like this in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown:

Code: Select all

rm -rf /tmp/*