Network problem

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Tuntematon

Re: Network problem

Post by Tuntematon »

Well, it is not as simple as I thought. I have to unplug the adapter first and put it back again in order to make it work.

I tried rebooting Salix with adapter connected and it refused to connect using dhcpcd. I got this:

soliciting a dhcpcd lease, soliciting an IPV6 router, probing for an IPv4ll address 169.xxx...235, adding route to 169.254.0.0/16, forked to background, child pid 1447

*) It seems each time I can't connect this IPv4ll address is mentioned and when I actually can connect it is missing. The other difference is the route. When I can't connect, the route ending is 0.0/16 while it is /24 when connection is made.

So I unplugged the adapter and pushed it back again. DHCP connection made with these details:

soliciting an IPv6 router
Router Advertisement from fe00:....
adding address 2001:14....
adding route to 2001:14....
adding default route via fe00:...
soliciting a DHCPv6 lease, rebinding lease of 192.xxx.x.177
leased xxx.177 for 43200 seconds
adding route to 192.xxx.x.0/24
adding default route via 192.168.1.1
usage: see the earlier post

Sorry for not copying everything as they are, but in general Windows often presents Salix text files in a funny way. It is easier for me to get pen and paper to write them down. But I guess now when I have my temporary connection with Salix, I could try copying.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

The 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address you're getting, is a fallback one that gets assigned if for some reason dhcp fails. I'm guessing that if you set a static IP that is correct, it will work.
Tuntematon

Post by Tuntematon »

I want to thank all of you who helped me to solve this problem. Even though things aren't exactly like they were before, I can easily connect now with dhcpcd. The connection is fast and stable, as it should be. I can happily live with this procedure, as it only takes some extra 30 seconds to connect.

You guys are amazing.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That was only a stopgap to get you back online and also to discount the possibility there was no dhcp server running on the router.

Along the lines of my suggestion some way above about setting wicd preferences to use dhclient rather than dhcpcd, I recomment you try the solution suggested here:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175583671/
Edit the file /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/00-dhcp-client.conf to make the same switch from dhcpcd to dhclient by commenting the line

Code: Select all

#dhcp=dhcpcd
and uncommenting

dhcp=dhclient
that is, add and remove the # at the beginning of the relevant lines to disable and enable the respective settings - by convention, everything following a # is ignored as a "comment", whence the expression "to comment out".

I have experienced the same problem on my own system the past couple of times I've tried current (that is, alienbob's liveslak) and also seen it on other distros. This doesn't get to the root cause but if it works, should allow you to use your Salix's networking as intended.
Tuntematon

Post by Tuntematon »

Sorry for asking stupid unintelligent questions but am I just supposed to type this command in the terminal: /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/00-dhcp-client.conf ?

If so, nothing really happened.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

No, you must open it with an editor, with sudo rights. For example:

sudo leafpad /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/00-dhcp-client.conf
Tuntematon

Post by Tuntematon »

I followed mimosa's instructions and managed to do it. The changes are still there after reboot. However, nothing changed. I can still get connected using dhcpcd so I'm fine at the moment.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

My own experience in Liveslak was that although the switch to dhclient did seem to help, giving me a stable connection on boot, if I disconnect and reconnect manually, the connection then keeps disconnecting as before.

However, disabling ipv6 in the connection settings for the relevant interface - in your case, this would be the wired one - completely solved the problem. That is not to say it will for you, but it is simple enough to try. Please see the instructions here (but be sure to select the correct interface, not the "wireless" one):

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=127075
Tuntematon

Post by Tuntematon »

Mimosa you're a genious! Problem solved! Setting that value to "ignore" was the thing.

I want to thank each one of you for helping me to solve this mystery!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Tuntematon wrote: 15. May 2019, 07:00 Mimosa you're a genious!
My knowledge of networking is pretty much nonexistent, thanks to Salix's robust performance in most situations. It's just a question of having the patience to look for plausible leads and try them out in a calm and systematic manner.

So getting good support is to a great extent about the process, on both sides, rather than necessarily starting from a high knowledge base.

I had a hunch from some of the output you posted earlier that IPv6 might have something to do with the trouble - and this is consistent with the router upgrade at the time the problem emerged.

Can you now get it to work wirelessly, as well? What happens if you revert to dhcpcd?