Slackware 15

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Slackware 15

Post by Van_Vinkle »

Has anyone (other than Pat Volkerding) idea about when Slackware 15 will be released?
I've been nosing out LQ, but no clues :x .
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Slackware 15

Post by gapan »

I don't think that even Pat knows that. Certainly nobody else.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

All I can say is its getting closer. :D

Xfce 4.14 is out so PV can check that off the list
Perhaps he is waiting on the next LTS kernel, which should be soonish. 5.4 will last until 12/2021, which would be a good timeframe for Slackware release. https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle »

It's been more than a year since I did this question.
Now, maybe I can ask again: is anybody here, in the salix biosphere, who knows more or less when the new Slackware will be released?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Nope.
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle »

As a Volkerding's patron on Patreon, I've got this message from the "Benevolent dictator for life":
Very thankful this Thanksgiving
Hi everyone, I just wanted to make sure that in spite of the long radio silence here that you all know how grateful my family and I are for your support. Without your help it would have been a much harder road to Slackware 15.0. Speaking of which, I think we can truly see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm about to merge some updates to the GTK stack and new Xfce right now, and then once we get Plasma 5 merged into the main tree and clear out some unneeded cruft we'll be just about ready for a beta release. Thanks again *so much!* I hope my friends in the US are having a good Thanksgiving, that my Canadian friends had a good one last month, and that everyone everywhere is having a great day today. Cheers!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Now, that looks promising!
PelleB

Post by PelleB »

Now we know. At least when the alpha1 was released.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Wow, lots of massive rebuilds lately. It seems this will be the last one. I'm guessing we're probably only a few months away now...
deniro

Post by deniro »

Yes. And I must say that it already feels like a great release.
I've got sw current on my desktop pc, with with a lot of extra stuff from slackbuilds, and also steam. Games run better then on 14.2. For my 10 year old laptop I still use Salix 14.2. But I saw on the Salix mirrors a "15.0" folder. :o So I have hope that perhaps I can upgrade the laptop in the "near" future, and move the the desktop pc to Salix 15.0

or perhaps first a Salix 15.0 alpha1? ;)

Slackware is nice, and super fast, but there is a lot of inconvenience, which can be solved with a lot of scripting. But out-of-the-box Salix combines Slackware with a lot of convenience, which makes it usable for a daily driver.