Salix Live 13.0 (32-bit) is ready :)

JRD
Salix Warrior

Salix Live 13.0 (32-bit) is ready :)

Post by JRD »

After a few months of development we are pleased to release the final version of Salix Live 13.0 (32-bit).

It faithfully replicates Salix 13.0.2 from which it adopts its full choice of application (Xfce, Firefox, the full Openoffice suite, Gimp, Exaile, etc.). Salix Live offers you a complete working desktop which can be used in a completely nomadic but customizable environment. The "Persistence Wizard" will enable you to easily preserve any of your work and modifications. Alternatively Salix Live can be used as a full fledged demo of Salix OS that can easily be installed with the help of our brand new graphical installer.

A multi-lingual "Startup Guide" will assist newcomers in discovering Salix OS. It shows which application can be used to accomplish a given task and how to use Salix' multi-lingual system utilities including, of course, how to use the "Persistence Wizard" or the "Salix Live Installer". The Startup guide also contains information geared to more experienced users seeking to fully customize Salix Live or to transfer it to a USB device.

You can download Salix Live 13.0 (32-bit) ISO here (md5sum: c3ad902c7eac6d14ec290fefb5666e7d): The root password is live.

The Startup Guide could be found online here (you can find instructions to put Salix Live on USB at the end).

About Salix OS:

Salix OS is a Linux distribution based on Slackware, that is simple, fast and easy to use. Salix is also fully backwards compatible with Slackware, so Slackware users can benefit from Salix repositories, which they can use as an "extra" quality source of software for their favorite distribution. Salix is using a system of one application per task. It also follows the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle. Like a bonsai, Salix is small, light and the product of infinite care.
zaen

Re: Salix Live 13.0 (32-bit) is ready :)

Post by zaen »

Thanks for this. I downloaded, burned and installed the live cd on my laptop. The graphical installer looks polished. Installation went without any issues with the very helpful guided installer. One convenience I found was the simple "up-arrow" move to make "Slackware" the default boot in my dual-boot system (the other being XP.) Once again, I appreciate being able to set during installation, auto-mounting my win-os and win-data partitions. The difference this time, however, was that I could not set the permissions to those partitions, a feature available on the text installer (13.0.2a) As a result both the windows partition and ntfs data partition became w+r by default.

Brasero replaced xfburn, no big deal as xfburn or k3b can easily be added from the repos.
OpenOffice, Gimp, exaile, transmission, pidgin also included by default. These pretty much covers what I really need. (Ok, I added mplayer, smplayer, picasa and vlc from the repos, heheh=)

Things I personally don't like:

1. Boot screen with progress bar hid the text-scrolling thingie which I preferred.
2. Also during bootup, the two penguins were replaced by what seem to look like two fat rats! No offense, but they're ugly! What's that on their mouths? Yellow oxygen masks? Is there a way to get back the text-scrolling bootup process and the original penguins?

I also tried the live cd on my desktop. The fonts were not as sharp as those on the laptop. "persistent" feature worked well when I downloaded the multi-media codecs and reboot. They're still there on the slxsave.xfs file. Clever. But I met a problem: everytime I reboot the live system, the computer returns an error "loop-something" where it is stuck and I had to hit the pc's reset button to reboot. Same behavior when I shutdown from live session- I had to press the pc's power button. Other than this shutdown/reboot problem the live system works.

I'm keeping my current installation of SalixOS in the laptop. Great job guys! Thanks! 8-)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

zaen wrote: The graphical installer looks polished. Installation went without any issues with the very helpful guided installer. One convenience I found was the simple "up-arrow" move to make "Slackware" the default boot in my dual-boot system (the other being XP.)
Nice to hear :)
Once again, I appreciate being able to set during installation, auto-mounting my win-os and win-data partitions. The difference this time, however, was that I could not set the permissions to those partitions, a feature available on the text installer (13.0.2a) As a result both the windows partition and ntfs data partition became w+r by default.
Added on the installer's next version's to-do list. ;)
Boot screen with progress bar hid the text-scrolling thingie which I preferred.
You can press escape during boot process to switch to verbose mode.
the two penguins were replaced by what seem to look like two fat rats! No offense, but they're ugly!
They are Tasmanian devils with penguins masks :D
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 40667.html
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Akuna wrote:You can press escape during boot process to switch to verbose mode.
Or disable it in lilo.conf ;)
Akuna wrote:They are Tasmanian devils with penguins masks :D
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 40667.html
And they are in all 2.6.29 kernels.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

A little late, but: Good job everyone! :D
SoleSoul

Post by SoleSoul »

It's great to see you making such big progress.
Your team is one of the best.
People are following you and I, at least, wish you luck in the years to come.
;)
zaen

Post by zaen »

Thanks for the clarifying the identity of those creatures. So long as they help in the awareness campaign of the plight of Tasmanian Devil's I guess they can live in my computer, hahah.

Funny, I can't find /etc/lilo.conf. I did find /etc/lilosetup.conf in my Salix Live 13 install. So that's what I'm going to edit to rid of the splash graphics and progress bar. Hmmm...

You know, the splash graphics and progress aren't too shabby after all. I decided to just leave them alone :mrgreen:
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

zaen wrote:Funny, I can't find /etc/lilo.conf. I did find /etc/lilosetup.conf in my Salix Live 13 install. So that's what I'm going to edit to rid of the splash graphics and progress bar. Hmmm...

You know, the splash graphics and progress aren't too shabby after all. I decided to just leave them alone :mrgreen:
Otherwise, simply rename /etc/lilosetup.conf as /etc/lilo.conf & use lilo as usual ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
SoleSoul

Post by SoleSoul »

It's kind of unbelievable but something (maybe the LiveCD release) brought Salix to the 9# place in (the unreliable, I know) Page Hit Ranking on Distrowatch for the last 7 days.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

We're at #8 today. :D

But expect that to drop tomorrow. This was indeed a result of the live CD release. Any release makes a spike in the number of clicks a distribution receives, raising the mean value.