Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

ibka

Re: Salix Xfce 15.0alpha2

Post by ibka »

djemos wrote: 18. Apr 2022, 13:00
ibka wrote:For me the wheel group works because i am the only user, but if there are more users and they are not in the wheel group then maybe another group could be used.
The second, third user etc they are simple users. A simple user cannot run any app require admin privileges. Which it is right.
only users that belong in wheel and polkitd group can run updatedb e.g in catfish.
Ah thanks, i understand, as i wrote i am not an expert on polkit
You learn new things every day :)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

ibka wrote:Well, that didn't solve the gtkhostsetup on my computer.
Did you remove the other files ? /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.salix.updatedb.policy and
/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/49-nopasswd_updatedb.rules
ibka

Post by ibka »

djemos wrote: 18. Apr 2022, 13:40
ibka wrote:Well, that didn't solve the gtkhostsetup on my computer.
Did you remove the other files ? /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.salix.updatedb.policy and
/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/49-nopasswd_updatedb.rules
Yes i did
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

OK. I thought it will work. Because i use gtkhostname in slackel and has no problem so i discovered the missing rules file from salix64-15 and when i made it gtkhostsetup as also the catfish both worked.
Let see if it will work for other testers.
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

djemos wrote: 18. Apr 2022, 15:18 Let see if it will work for other testers.
The same problem with me as described by the others. After gtkhostsetup, I have to log out and log in again to run applications correctly.

I've also done what djemos suggested, but still having the same problem.

I don't know if it's only me, but vim does not start up, complaining about libruby.so.3.0 missing.

32-bit iso USB
bios
US English
Full Installation
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
ibka

Post by ibka »

I found that even edit the /etc/HOSTNAME with a text editor makes it impossible to start applications.
I found that if i have thunar running i can start thunar in the xfce4-terminal

if i try to start l3afpad i got the error:

Code: Select all

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyl3afpad: Cannot open display:
if i try to start gtkhostsetup with sudo in the xfce4-terminal i get the following error:

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

(gtkhostsetup:11200): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:31:04.209: _gtk_style_provider_private_get_settings: assertion 'GTK_IS_STYLE_PROVIDER_PRIVATE (provider)' failed

(gtkhostsetup:11200): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 19:31:04.209: _gtk_style_provider_private_get_settings: assertion 'GTK_IS_STYLE_PROVIDER_PRIVATE (provider)' failed

Segmenteringsfel
so its probably not gtkhostsetup that is the problem, it seems like that its some service that detect the change of the hostname file and causes the problem.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

tsuren wrote: 18. Apr 2022, 17:33 I don't know if it's only me, but vim does not start up, complaining about libruby.so.3.0 missing.
Hi tsuren! Yes, I knew about this. It seems that there is a discrepancy on how Pat compiled vim for 32bit and 64bit. It depends on ruby on 32bit while it doesn't on 64bit. I'll either wait for Pat to fix it or provide our own packages for vim (more likely). Thanks for reporting though!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ibka wrote: 18. Apr 2022, 17:34 I found that even edit the /etc/HOSTNAME with a text editor makes it impossible to start applications.
I found that if i have thunar running i can start thunar in the xfce4-terminal

if i try to start l3afpad i got the error:

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyl3afpad: Cannot open display:
if i try to start gtkhostsetup with sudo in the xfce4-terminal i get the following error:

Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

Segmenteringsfel
so its probably not gtkhostsetup that is the problem, it seems like that its some service that detect the change of the hostname file and causes the problem.
Yes, ibka, that's what I have determined as well. I don't know why it happens on your systems but not on mine, but on yours, changes to /etc/HOSTNAME are picked up automatically. But it should go back to working again if you run:

sudo hostname oldhostname
as I have suggested before. Have you tried that?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

About vim, I have a problem I was also seeing with Slackware, but not previously in Salix 14.2. If I run vim inside screen, I need to press Esc twice to get out of insert mode.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote: 18. Apr 2022, 20:05 About vim, I have a problem I was also seeing with Slackware, but not previously in Salix 14.2. If I run vim inside screen, I need to press Esc twice to get out of insert mode.
I definitely don't have this. Maybe it's related to your keyboard settings? Anyone else?