Project Leader

Old stuff that should not bother anyone anymore
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Project Leader

Post by Akuna »

I could be wrong but I feel that we could benefit from having an official project leader. :)

Even though we all want to do away with an autocratic system, it might be smart to elect a project leader who would be sort of our BDFL except it would be for the *Life of a given release*.

For each release of Salix, we could hold a new election that would either renew the term of the project leader in place (if he is still able to commit himself to it) or else set a new project leader over the new projected release.

Advantages:
* More assertive decision making while still being democratic
* More manageable commitment over a certain time period (after all, we all do have another live to attend to)
* In time, most active developers & contributors could have a chance to get the experience to lead an open source project while our project would also benefit from different personalities, talents & focus being able to express themselves in turn more assertively.
* This would also reinforce the feeling of our most active developers & contributors that the project is indeed their own baby, which is essential when you give most of your free time to something.
* Avoid possible dog fight once the project grows... even if you do not like a certain decision (which is bound to happen), it is easier to respect it if you know that it is actually issued from a democratic community expression even if embodied by a certain project leader.
* This would also ensure in the long run that the project will not die when the original & key initiators loose their interest and/or the possibility to keep being so involved. In other words it ensures that the project is not depending on anyone, but rather that it is a self-supporting & self-propagating machinery.
* Etc...

To get us started, I'd like to nominate Gapan who has been acting as our natural leader & has invested the most time & effort into this project. In fact he is the one instrumental in getting us all involved into this project in the first place... ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Project Leader

Post by thenktor »

If we have one I vote for gapan, too 8-)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Ideas seem great to me! And uhm... OK. :lol:
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I vote for Julius Caesar.