Camera raw plugins dcraw or ufraw

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
zaen

Camera raw plugins dcraw or ufraw

Post by zaen »

it would be swell if Salix can include camera raw applications in the future. I used ufraw, for example, in another distro. Ufraw can also work as a plugin of Gimp. I used ufraw for viewing and editing my .NEF Nikon image files.

Thanks.
zaen

Re: Camera raw plugins dcraw or ufraw

Post by zaen »

I just found a workaround. I installed Picasa through Gslapt. My NEF files showed up! I can export or save them as jpeg in Picasa and edit them in Gimp as such.

Not bad, hehe :D
maximus

Post by maximus »

You might be interested in "Raw Studio" (link) which is now available on the repo through gslapt/slapt-get
jbs1136

Post by jbs1136 »

I tried Picasa awhile back and didn't care for it. My taste only, it was just the gui. I use geegie, also in the repos and it shows my .NEF files with no problems. Just to mention another option.

john
maximus

Post by maximus »

Great suggestion, although I think the original poster was looking for something he could use to edit the RAW photo itself, which can be done with ufraw and/or dcraw and Gimp plugins, as well as with the software I mentioned earlier.

I used to use Picasa all the time when running 32bit, but I switched to 64bit and am not interested in running multilib so that was out of the window. I found there aren't so many choices when it comes to photo management on 64bit, you can use gthumb or geeqie which are both great (especially geeqie!) but I consider them more as photo viewers as opposed to photo managers. Even though I don't use KDE I compiled and ran Digikam for a while which, although great software, wasn't as responsive as I would like and also didn't quite fit in with the rest of my GTK environment. Which is why I compiled "Shotwell" (link) which is in the earlier stages of development but runs quick and does what I need right now.
jbs1136

Post by jbs1136 »

You're right, I wasn't thinking about a manager. It has been so long since I used Picasa I didn't even think about what all it did. I use digicam for a while also and switched to geegie recently. I don't really use a manager, I have my own file system which works well for me and I know where everything is (sort of :) ). Any editing that I do I use GIMP.

I am going to check out your link, looks interesting.

I did check it out but I have 2 problems. One is that it stores in home folder and I see no way to change that. The other is that it seems to only import jpg, not png or svg.

john
maximus

Post by maximus »

jbs1136 wrote:I did check it out but I have 2 problems. One is that it stores in home folder and I see no way to change that. The other is that it seems to only import jpg, not png or svg.
I have my photos stored on a separate partition which is symbolically linked via ~/Pictures. When you import photos in Shotwell you'll notice in the import dialog itself at the bottom left corner there is a checkbox with "Copy files to Pictures photo library". I think just unchecking the box should be enough to prevent photos from being copied over - is that what you meant?

As for png/svg, the main reason I use photo management software is to view my fairly extensive collection of photography (I shoot in jpeg), and publish a few here and there for family/friends to Picasa web albums, which this allows me to do easily. To be honest I prefer that all the other image files I have lying around aren't indexed, which Picasa had the annoying habit of doing. The software is in the earlier stages of development as I said so I guess we'll have to see where it goes, I just enjoy the fact that I don't have to run Digikam to have a photo manager on 64bit.
jbs1136

Post by jbs1136 »

Thanks, that answers the question for me. I didn't see the check box, I'll take another look.

john