Adding Alien to Gslapt sources.

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
Edd_Juglans

Adding Alien to Gslapt sources.

Post by Edd_Juglans »

Greetings all..

Please excuse the noob ignorance - I have tried to find the answer in previous posts, but maybe I haven't searched enough.

Anyway, is it safe to add https://slackware.uk/people/alien/sbrepos/15.0/x86_64/ to Gslapt sources, or will it mess up my Salix install..?

Many thanks..
Edd
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Adding Alien to Gslapt sources.

Post by djemos »

In my opinion, do not add third party repositories. It only produce problems.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

This repository is included but not enabled by default in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc in Slint64-15.0.

There could be some incompatibilities between versions in this repository and in Salix but a least it handles the dependencies if using slapt-get or gslapt and is of high quality.

If you use it I recommend setting a priority DEFAULT thus if the same software is available in this repository and in Salix the package from Salix will be used.

For your information:
slapt-getrc provided for Slint. Warning: do not use it as is!
Associated README Basically the same recommendations as in the link provided by gapan.
brocashelm

Post by brocashelm »

My limited Slackware experience tells me this is a very bad idea. As has been said, Salix's repositories handle dependency tracking to mitigate breakages.

I think that as long as you know what you're doing (i.e. installing very specific software versions you can't find on official repositories that would still match your distro), you might be able to wing it. The only way to know is to set up a testing machine and experiment there. If all goes well for a while, then you could consider it to be a safe install.

Personally, I just use the official repositories and the SlackBuilds, but if there's nothing else being hosted by either of them, then I'll either compile from source or use DEB2TGZ (for converting Debian packages to Slackware). For the very latter, I've only had to do it for Alacarte, as even the SlackBuilds were triggering Python-related errors (no matter what I installed).

It's very important to understand that Slackware rolls much differently compared to Debian or even Gentoo, since not only are the packages pretty 1:1 with upstream, they don't make any effort to resolve dependencies, so it's generally recommended to install everything but the kitchen sink if you want to be really, really careful, especially as library and development files pertaining to a package are bundled together, instead of separate (unlike Debian or Arch GNU/Linux to some extent).