[SOLVED] Missing dependency to jed

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Papasot
Donor

[SOLVED] Missing dependency to jed

Post by Papasot »

The jed editor makes extensive use of the S-Lang library / scripting language, which is provided by the package slang. However slapt-get / Gslapt won't pull slang if you try to install jed. So running jed won't work because it will be missing shared library libslang.so.2. Therefore slang must be added as a dependency to jed.
Note that slang is mentioned as a dependency to jed in the repos, and while building the package myself depfinder correctly detects it.

P.S.: If you like old-school but powerful editors for programmers, jed is definitely worth a try. I has a lot of Emacs-like functionality, but can emulate other editors as well. It is also ridiculously lightweight, and its scripting language (S-lang) would put today's popular scripting languages into shame.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Missing dependency to jed

Post by gapan »

I'm really not sure about this. The jed dep file lists:

Code: Select all

aaa_libraries|gpm,aaa_libraries|ncurses,aaa_libraries|slang
The "aaa_libraries|slang" part means that either aaa_libraries OR slang will do. And indeed the usr/lib64/libslang.so.2.3.2 library is present in both packages. Furthermore, slang is included in the CORE list of packages, so it is always included in a Salix installation. I'm guessing the only way this wouldn't work, is if you removed the slang package manually, therefore removing the /usr/lib64/libslang.so.2 symlink and then tried to install jed.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

gapan wrote: 18. Sep 2023, 09:58I'm guessing the only way this wouldn't work, is if you removed the slang package manually, therefore removing the /usr/lib64/libslang.so.2 symlink and then tried to install jed.
I don't know what happened here, but I started with a standard installation, and I didn't actually remove anything. I installed many packages from the repos, eventually had a local repository prioritized (just a few libraries at newer version, has nothing to do with slang) - but I don't think I've ever removed a package, since I was pretty happy with the packages included in standard installation. However when I tried to install jed, it didn't pull slang. Without slang, jed seems to work for a second or two, it is not immediately apparent something is wrong. But as soon jed needs to load any slang "package" (which happens if you try to do anything, like loading a file), jed fails because libslang is not there so it can't load the slang package it needs.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I just tried with a fresh CORE installation. After rebooting from the installer, I installed jed and it worked. slang is already installed, so it didn't get pulled as a dependency. And sure enough, if I remove slang, jed doesn't start anymore. So, I'm quite certain that somehow you removed slang.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

I guess I somehow removed slang then (although I really don't think I did that). No matter, feel free to rename thread with [Solved] as a prefix (I would do that if I could).