help with live instructions + results

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
skubo42

help with live instructions + results

Post by skubo42 »

got program to run with
ras@orac:/tmp/iso/boot$ sudo bash install_on_usb.sh --usb /media/ras/Lexar/salixlive64-xfce-15.0.iso /dev/sdb1

the program corrected it to sdb ,i had to use tab and ls to find right path to iso the desktop file browser wasn't showing right path
i was getting confused with the shape of the file tree.

does the cd command do more than shorten path does sh call bin files from linuxmint or salix img.
the first time i got error that bin file could not execute

i think my drives are getting mounted readonly and nonexe.
should the defualt mount work the same in all distros.

used dell netbook with 3 usb ports and 32bit linuxmint21 installed
and live64 bit linuxmint21 on ventoy stick. on dell style chrombook. 2 usb ports
i think same errors interfering with their persistance sh instructions.

i wanted to post command line error results to check if system was behaving right select all wouldn't copy whole history
sh finished with some errors

i saved the salix .img file but cant append and save my own data file that i could before
can drive makers set sticks readonly like old floppy lock tab.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: help with live instructions + results

Post by djemos »

i think my drives are getting mounted readonly and nonexe.
should the defualt mount work the same in all distros.
This is a problem with your system or distro you use. Never had such a problem.
There is the salix_live_startup_guide It is good to read it. But to save your time, read bellow.

After downloading the Salix ISO, you need to create a bootable USB to install from it.
There's many way to do that, in windows 10, you can use the Rufus USB creator, which exists in iso in boot folder to transfer the iso to a USB stick under windows system. Be sure to name the usb label "LIVE" without quotes.
Also can download Rufus from here.

If you run another linux distribution can use Unetbootin to create a bootable USB. In this case the
usb label has to be named LIVE. If it is named differently then booting from usb has to pass the
parameter medialabel=your_usb_label_name. To do this press Tab and type in the end for example
for a usb named myusb type medialabel=myusb

You can also use the script install_on_usb.sh existed in iso in boot folder to create the usb in any
distribution. Read the respective instructions in this file: README_INSTALL_ON_USB.TXT

Code: Select all

INSTALLING THE ISO IMAGE TO A USB KEY
=====================================

The install_on_usb.sh script is used to install the iso image to a usb
key using the iso image itself.

You can mount the iso image to a directory e.g.: /tmp/iso and enter
the boot directory within the mountpoint, e.g.: cd /tmp/iso/boot
and execute the script from there:

sudo mkdir /tmp/iso
  sudo mount -o loop path_to_iso_image /tmp/iso
  cd /tmp/iso/boot
  sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --usb path_to_iso_image device
  cd ~/
  sudo umount /tmp/iso

Note: If this script is executed from a different distro then be sure gdisk is installed and also maybe have to type
		sudo bash install_on_usb.sh --usb path_to_iso_image device

device can be something like /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc according to how
many usb keys are plugged in your system.
There is no chance to install to your hard disk /dev/sda or /dev/hda.
The script will just exit in such a case.

So, you have to specify the path to the iso image and device. The script
will ask the user to confirm the device specified, to choose vfat or ext3 filesystem for formatting the device and it will also
optionally create a persistent ext3 file.
For example having iso downloaded to /home/user/ folder type in your case using a different distro than salix
sudo bash install_on_usb.sh --usb /home/user/salixlive64-xfce-15.0.iso /dev/sdb

You can also boot with Salix DVD and run the instonusb gui tool developed in house to create a
Salix live bootable USB.
Most computers will boot from USB automatically. Simply insert the USB flash drive and either
power on your computer or restart it. You should see the same welcome window we saw in the
previous ‘Install from DVD' step, prompting you to choose your language and either install or try
the Salix desktop.
If your computer doesn't automatically boot from USB, try holding F12 when your computer first
starts. With most machines, this will allow you to select the USB device from a system-specific
boot menu.

"F12 is the most common key for bringing up your system's boot menu, but Escape, F2 and F10 are
common alternatives. If you're unsure, look for a brief message when your system starts - this will
often inform you of which key to press to bring up the boot menu."