spotify latest version

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

spotify latest version

Post by mimosa »

First of all, the version of the spotify app in the Salix extra directory is not the latest (1.1.10 as opposed to 1.2.22.982 on slackbuilds.org) and doesn't work.

The newer version has some additional dependencies (ayatana-ido and associated libraries, also vala). I was able to build these after installing linuxdoc-tools and python-pygments.

glfw may be needed also - installing it reduced the quantity of messages generated when running spotify in terminal.

I do get an annoying message about "logging in to the keyring" which goes away if I log in to Spotify via the browser - it won't accept my password though.
Papasot
Donor

Re: spotify latest version

Post by Papasot »

mimosa, which version of glfw did you use? The one in Salix repos is a bit outdated, but I upload the latest version in people.salixos.org regularly. I don't use spotify though so I can't tell if this will help - and I doubt it will help with the keyring problem. However maybe it is worth a try to use the latest glfw stable version, if you didn't do that already. glfw itself has no dependencies to speak of (just very basic X11 stuff) so it won't add more dependency issues anyway.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks papasot, I've installed your package.

It seems to work well enough, once the "keyring" message goes away. It didn't make me log in via the web interface this time.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

In cases like this (proprietary app that better be kept up to date and should probably not come into contact with the rest of the system), I would use the flatpak.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

gapan wrote: 6. Nov 2023, 06:39 In cases like this (proprietary app that better be kept up to date and should probably not come into contact with the rest of the system), I would use the flatpak.
Agreed. I use Spotify so rarely I can't rightly remember, but I think I did try this before. Shortly I will be decamping to another base and computer, and I'll give the flatpak a try there.

The only real advantage I can see of the desktop over the web version is local storage and offline use, and perhaps better quality, that may be wasted on my computer speakers. No adverts, you get anyway if you are paying for it, which in my case is arguably a waste of money.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I have never used spotify myself, so I don't really know how the flatpak behaves, but I would be surprised if the flatpak didn't support all the features the app normally does. Flatpaks can write to the drive if they have the right permissions, and they should, by default.