No keyboard with 13.1 alpha

You think you have found a bug? Let us know about it.
ltjmax

No keyboard with 13.1 alpha

Post by ltjmax »

Hi there!!

I installed the latest alpha of Salix twice on my old TravelMate2420 acer laptop and each time, the process went perfectly and when I reboot.... My keyboard isn't working!! No problems with the touchpad or anything else, but I can't write nothing with my laptop (and it's kind of essential ;) )

When I installed the 13 stable version or the liveCD, I had no problem but now it's like if it wasn' recognize... Any solutions??

PS: Sorry for my english, I try do to my best!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: No keyboard with 13.1 alpha

Post by gapan »

This is odd. The same kernel that is running during the installation, which apparently works for you, is also the one installed. Does it work in the lilo boot screen? Hit the tab key there and if it works, type linux 3 and press enter. It should boot into text mode. See if the keyboard works there. If it does, then it's something with xorg, if it doesn't then it's something with the kernel.
ltjmax

Post by ltjmax »

Well, I'm dual-booting with Debian Sid so I didn't install Lilo 'cause I prefered to keep my Grub... Do you know if there's a way to boot in text mode with Grub2??
If no, I'll do a new installation with Lilo to try this and see if the problem is here... I know that during the boot, I can press the caps lock button and it works, but as soon as I'm on GDM, it doesn't respond anymore.

Thanks for your answer, I have to go at work now so l'll be there tomorrow to keep you informed about the status of this problem... And sorry to bug you ;)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I haven't used grub for years, but normally you just need to add 3 at the end of your boot command line. If that doesn't work, you can always edit the /etc/inittab file in the salix partition and change the

Code: Select all

id:4:initdefault:
line to

id:3:initdefault:
so it boots into init 3 by default.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Sounds a lot like the issue I had when I upgraded to current - see here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=689

Mouse would work in gdm but not keyboard. In my case the keyboard worked fine when booting to text mode, and would work fine in X if I then started X by hand, bypassing gdm. What language/keyboard layout are you using?
ltjmax

Post by ltjmax »

Sorry for the time it took before i could answer...

So everything is working when running in text mode... I typed "startx" and when I'm on the desktop, the keyboard stop to function.
Language is fr_CA (French Canadian) and I selected the cf keymap at the install ...

Is there any more informations I can give to find a solution to the problem??
There was a problem like this on my Debian Sid because of a conflict between a xorg.conf.d synaptics configuration file and a new evdev package and I resolved this very quickly, but since there's no things like this on a freshly install Salix, I just can't see what to do.

I didn't understand everything in maximus thread, but can this have something to do with the intel video driver? 'cause my card is an i810 so it uses the intel driver...
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ltjmax wrote:So everything is working when running in text mode... I typed "startx" and when I'm on the desktop, the keyboard stop to function.
Language is fr_CA (French Canadian) and I selected the cf keymap at the install ...
OK, so it has something to do with xorg.
ltjmax wrote:Is there any more informations I can give to find a solution to the problem??
There was a problem like this on my Debian Sid because of a conflict between a xorg.conf.d synaptics configuration file and a new evdev package and I resolved this very quickly, but since there's no things like this on a freshly install Salix, I just can't see what to do.
You can try to use a xorg.conf file. There is a template in /etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa which you can use as a starting point.
You could also try removing the xf86-input-synaptics package from your system to see if that creates a conflict somewhere.
ltjmax wrote:I didn't understand everything in maximus thread, but can this have something to do with the intel video driver? 'cause my card is an i810 so it uses the intel driver...
It could be this too. There's a wiki page with instructions on how to try other versions of the intel driver.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Are you sure you selected the "cf" keymap at install? Maybe you meant the "ca" keymap? I think that would be the one you need.

You could try this and see if it works - while you're in text mode do

$ cd /etc/X11/xkb/symbols
Then su to root and do

# ln -s ca fr_CA
# init 4
which should you bring you to the login screen and hopefully you'll have the use of your keyboard. I find it helps a lot if you cross your fingers, toes, and keep a lump of wood handy to touch. ;)
ltjmax

Post by ltjmax »

I'm must have a problem with the magic touch of my crossed fingers 'cause nothing work... I tried your solution maximus and I also modified my xorg.conf... and i'm always at the same point!
I'll try to install another version of my driver later...