Installing local packages

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
notspecial

Installing local packages

Post by notspecial »

Does slapt-get/gslapt support installing/updating a single local package that is not part of an upstream repo? Or do the parent Slackware tools installpkg/upgradepkg need to be used?

Thanks.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Installing local packages

Post by gapan »

You can use either the slackware pkgtools or spkg, which is faster and does more checks.

If you have a bunch of them, it's better to create a local repo and add that to your /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc. Look in your /usr/doc/slapt-get-$VERSION/FAQ for more info.
notspecial

Post by notspecial »

I was hoping for a GUI solution. I installed Salix for a long-distance person, all working fine, but a pointy-clicky person. The person can use the terminal but I prefer to avoid that. I installed some of my own shell scripts and I want to update those remotely for the person. I thought a local package with gslapt might be an option but I found no obvious way.

I'll have to look into other options such as GUI downloaders or using a web browser.

Thanks.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Well, there are thunar custom actions swhich could potentially do exactly what you want. You can set them up in your Edit menu in thunar. You can create a custom action for *.txz and *.tgz files that would run something like

Code: Select all

gksudo spkg %f
Haven't tried it, but it should work.

Alternatively, you can create an online repo yourself, host your packages there and add that to their /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc. They will just be upgraded by gslapt that way.
notspecial

Post by notspecial »

I'll look into creating an online repo and adding to /etc/slapt-get. The idea of file manager context menus sounds tempting.

Thanks.