Support to 14.2

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
Danyel

Support to 14.2

Post by Danyel »

I m still using the 14.2 version, in my old PC is very fast and I can use Firefox last version, the devedition edition, using AppImage. So I would like to ask when the support for 14.2 will end.
TIA
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Support to 14.2

Post by gapan »

Hard to say. Stuff is still being updated in 14.2 (and 14.1, even 14.0). If there is a security update and it is possible to update something, it will be updated. Probably a couple of more years? Don't know, there is no roadmap or anything. In any case, it would be preferable to upgrade to 15.0.
Danyel

Post by Danyel »

There is something about 15.0 that drive me crazy. I need to type using Portuguese, so I must type characters like "'" "~" and so on. What happens is this: 15 first makes ´ appears on the screen, then "e" so the resulting: é. There is a little lag while this happen. Form what I can remember, not even Wordstar for Dos did it back 1987... :-)
Bird
Donor

Post by Bird »

Salix 15 is more ressource hungry than 14.2, so a handful of old hardware fell off the cliff, like a P3 from 2000 or this tiny netbook with an Atom processor from 2009. 14.2 is the better choice on those old machines.
Which writing software do you use? Libreoffice? Quite a big program as well, also lagging a bit here. What about trying a small text editor (Leafpad for example)? Do you have the input lag there as well?
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

On such old hardware you are better off trying Haiku OS (a continuation of BeOS) or maybe Kolibri OS. may be ok for simpler task but will not have the range of drivers of linux