What if Slackware dies?

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
miredia

Re: What if Slackware dies?

Post by miredia »

I also don't want Devuan to be the base of anything else. CROWZ, Gnuinos and three others are more than enough. Even without "systemd" I don't recommend it to anyone. If only "Chimaera" worked well enough because the ISO's are still widely available while those for Debian "Bullseye" are not. But I'd rather pass.

I noticed "multilib" would conflict with "slapt-get". I'd rather have full "multilib" which suits me right now while I feel constrained by the other side. I keep having update issues with "slapt-get". OTOH Wine v8 isn't really better than earlier versions for me and don't encourage me further to run Windows 64-bit software. It's not even more reliable than Wine v5 with 32-bit software anymore. Take it from me, I have about eight distros installed, either Debian "Bullseye" or compatible, and four more either "Bookworm" or based on it.

"systemd" cannot bother me in this case. I never understood the hatred for it. The more someone tries to "debate" about it, trying to convince others that it's bad, the more often I choose to go with one of too many poisons available. How about "btrfs"? How about trying to force XFCE to use Wayland? There are many other things to worry about for Linux.

I repeat, "systemd" cannot bother me in this case because one of the systems I have based on Debian boots faster than any non-"systemd" operating system, except Porteus. I don't know why that is but I have 12-year-old computer.

I don't like rolling release distributions. I stayed with one which was Arch Linux-based for a long while, but I don't have anything going on at the moment. I was forced to leave one with KDE because it booted very slowly. Sadly Debian with KDE was bloated the same, forced me to choose an alternative.

I've given up on JACK a long time ago. But I need "QJackCtl" to run Ardour and other programs to see what I could do producing sound to use in my music efforts. On occasion I use programs like LMMS and Sunvox. The large chunk of my endeavors are done with 32-bit Windows applications with Wine.

I was going to say something about the state of the two guys having the most to do with Slackware but digress. But the future might have something more or less like Mandriva: there are at least three distros considered "independent" now which were "forked" from Mandriva. I'm checking out one of them now, ROSA.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Post by ChuangTzu »

Well, a disguised "Is Slackware Dead" thread.....must mean a new release is imminent.
rhtoras

Post by rhtoras »

I am nosystemD by design. I have a lot arguements against systemD and i trully believe users can live without it. Elogind is something i am skeptical on too but then only a minority of options are available to us. And that goes on software that is made but poettering (i prefer poetteringless distributions). That is why i use openbsd and other sollutions outside linux. Salix just works and that's ok. If Slackware dies then we can find sollutions. When project trident died all people involved switched to Void, Devuan and Freebsd for example.
coyotl

Post by coyotl »

You also have Artix, systemd free fork of Arch. I'm so impressed by how well this works, runs Cinnamon with no trouble, boots very fast (you apparently did not try it), seems to have avoided the limitations you see in other non systemd distros. It does not have SysV as an option though. It is more stable than Arch itself because packages come through with a delay. Salix 15 is also an optimal distro now. Rosa is a solid distro, if you want gaming it will be easier with systemd. ALT Linux, another Russian rpm based distro (now uses Synaptic and apt btw) that was also originally based on Mandrake, has 'starter kits' with SysV init. Very stable and solid, and has 'hidden' functions in the form of packages that solve many problems/set things up.