Problem with Vbox Guest Additions

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mobius

Problem with Vbox Guest Additions

Post by mobius »

Hi. Not sure if this is a Salix problem, but it may be. I'm running Salix64 15, which I installed several months ago from the file salix64-xfce-15.0.iso, in a VirtualBox VM. I've also installed, for testing of various features, several other distros in the same setup, and none of them have had the issue I will describe.

Firstly, Salix boots up okay, but it is much slower booting than all the other distros. This, I believe, is because it is having trouble with the VirtualBox Guest Additions, due to which it seems to rebuild the VBox kernel modules at every boot, and it displays the message "Kernel headers not found for target kernel 5.15.63." Once it is booted, though, the guest additions seem to function, as I can change screen size, share files and also copy/paste between host and guest, etc.

In the package manager, all of the kernel-xxx files are locked; the only one that is actually installed is kernel-firmware 20220124_eb8ea1b-noarch-1, but there is also shown (not installed) a kernel-firmware 20231222_a7dee43-noarch-1. There are several kernel-header entries, all locked and none installed.

Should some header files be installed? Should the kernel firmware be updated?
Real men don't systemd.

Friends don't let friends systemd.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Problem with Vbox Guest Additions

Post by djemos »

You need to install the kernel-source package for kernel 5.15.63.
mobius

Post by mobius »

Certainly willing to do that. However, in the package manager, all of the kernel-source packages listed (there are four of them) are locked, and 5.15.63 is not one of them! How would I go about installing 5.15.63?
Real men don't systemd.

djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Download from here the kernel-source 5.15.63 package which i build since kernel-source package 5.15.63 does not exist on slackware 15.0 anymore.
install it with

Code: Select all

sudo spkg kernel-source-5.15.63-noarch-1dj.txz
mobius

Post by mobius »

@djemos, thanks for making the effort to build the package. I installed per your instructions, and it installed okay.

Unfortunately, the boot process is still throwing (different) errors. As the system runs fine once booted, including the vbox guest additions, this now appears to be more of a VirtualBox trouble than a Salix one; the effect of the errors only seems to be to slow the boot process. So it likely doesn't need to be pursued any further.
Real men don't systemd.

gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

djemos, no need for building your own packages. You can find all previous versions of all packages in the slackware uk cumulative repository. Example: http://slackware.uk/cumulative/slackwar ... x-5.15.63/
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan, I know slackware uk cumulative repository. But when i was there i did not see in the bottom the kernel-source package. :-) Thanks.