Salix 13.1alpha1

JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix 13.1alpha1

Post by JRD »

I run in the same problem (about nvidia cards).
The nouveau driver is, in some way, better than the previous nv driver, because the graphical display can run on my two monitors without any tunning. It was not the case with nv, it tries to make a really big screen with my two monitors as If I had only one, and obviously it won't work. Nouveau is working good on this (gdm is displayed quite correctly on my left monitor, and when logged, XFCE is displayed correctly on the right monitor). Still a bit weird, but works better.
For example, I cannot run Salix Live (which uses nv) with my two monitors connected or it ended up with two black screens :(
I also have glitches when switching back to a Linux Console with nouveau, but all texts are readable, which was not the case with the nv driver.
I finally blacklisted the nouveau driver and installed the proprietary nvidia driver and it works good. But I noticed nouveau is making great progress. I will check it regularly.

I also had some headaches problems with the kernel update.
Before update, I was running a kernel 2.6.30.x and my devices were:
- /dev/hda (hard disk with one partition)
- /dev/hdb (CD/DVD drive)
- /dev/hdc (main hard disk with multiple partitions)
- /dev/sda (USB disk with one partition)

Kernel 2.6.33.x dropped the IDE compatibility layer, so no "hd", only "sd", connected with PATA, SATA or USB.
My /etc/fstab uses UID, not device node, to references disks, so everything should boot properly, I will just need to edit /etc/lilo.conf after first boot, to replace "hd" whith "sd".
But It won't boot. Because of my CD/DVD drive which shifted the device letter. /dev/hdc will became /dev/sdb !
Here is how I dealt with it: I rebooted, and on the Lilo prompt I edited the entry (with Tab key) and entered:

Code: Select all

Salix root=/dev/sdb
It booted right, I just needed to modify device names in /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo.
P.S. my /dev/hdb is now /dev/sr0 (optical devices are all sr now).
masanee

Post by masanee »

How do I change from google chrome to internet explorer? I downloaded google chrome to use this one website and I made it my 'default internet' and I don't want it like that anymore bc it's slowing my computer down, How do I make internet explorer my default internet again?
Last edited by masanee on 15. May 2010, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

This is a joke ???

There is no "Internet Explorer" on Linux...it's a Microsoft Windows product.

There are tons of other browsers on Linux, like Firefox, Konqueror, Opera, Midori, .... plenty of others...

Just run another browser and make it the default when asking.

(P.S. it is a bot ?)
Quoth

Post by Quoth »

JRD wrote:This is a joke ???
(P.S. it is a bot ?)
masanee wrote:How do I make internet explorer my default internet again?
Read closely, Again. ;)

If it is wether a joke nor a bot, he definately went to the wrong place.
But the phrase about Chrome being slower than IE makes it a joke I guess. :lol:

Q
'There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.'
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

JRD wrote:(P.S. it is a bot ?)
:mrgreen:
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

a bit late of mine, but the alpha is awesome!
I really love the new artwork :mrgreen:
and KMS is great!
I just have a little problem, I upgraded some packages, gdm and udev between them, and on the next boot I have no response from keyboard nor mouse :(
booting in runlevel 3 and starting X manually doesn't work either :(
right now I'm using salix live to backup some data and then I'm gonna try a clean reinstall
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Did you upgrade the kernel?
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

gapan wrote:Did you upgrade the kernel?
yes I did, was I not supposed to do that? :?:
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, you definitely should. I'm trying to figure out what might have caused it. I also remember there was an upgrade to xorg-server 1.7.7 lately. Did you upgrade that too?
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

gapan wrote:Yes, you definitely should. I'm trying to figure out what might have caused it. I also remember there was an upgrade to xorg-server 1.7.7 lately. Did you upgrade that too?
I guess I did, I don't remember all the packages but I did the upgrade this monday and I upgraded every upgradeable package that was available that day