Salix power consumption

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
knedlyk

Salix power consumption

Post by knedlyk »

Did anybody try to discover Salix power consumption? I want to install Salix on netbook, but know nothing about that. Could someone post their results from powertop? Do you use laptopmode or something else? Useful tips/suggestions are appreciated.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix power consumption

Post by thenktor »

1. Depends greatly on your hardware :mrgreen:
2. Won't be much different to other distributions ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
knedlyk

Post by knedlyk »

thenktor wrote:1. Depends greatly on your hardware :mrgreen:
Sure, I understand it. Examples are wanted!
2. Won't be much different to other distributions ;)
How much? 5, 6, 8, 20 W? Examples?

I have Samsung n120 netbook with Archlinux, with all tweaks which I found on different forums, it is about 6-7 W (50% brightness, laptopmode on, bluetooth turned off, camera is off and so on).
Shador

Post by Shador »

thenktor wrote:2. Won't be much different to other distributions ;)
And what about this one:

Code: Select all

# grep NO_HZ /boot/config
CONFIG_NO_HZ=y
Prevents the CPU from going into longer idle periods. Although I never really measured the actual difference it shouldn't differ much from other distros though.
The most effective cross-platfom/-distro powersaver is still the standby button. :mrgreen:
(Especially with a battery lasting 20-30 mins)
knedlyk wrote:I have Samsung n120 netbook with Archlinux, with all tweaks which I found on different forums, it is about 6-7 W (50% brightness, laptopmode on, bluetooth turned off, camera is off and so on).
Tweaks don't count. ;) Because tweaks are applicable to allmost any distro.
You can aggressively power down you hard drive, that's what I did for a while, but it doesn't have that much of an impact and after all your hard drive gets a little faster older. I'd say it's not worth the effort and you loose reliability (higher writeback intervalls).
In fact the screen is the power drain, so AMOLED is the way to go.