Salix 13.1 is here!

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix 13.1 is here!

Post by gapan »

Salix 13.1 has been released! Available in both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures, Salix 13.1 is fully backwards compatible with Slackware 13.1. Salix 13.1 is built on top of a Slackware 13.1 base and offers a streamlined XFCE desktop environment with selected applications following the "one application per task" philosophy.

Salix 13.1, can be installed using three different installation modes, "core", "basic" and "full".

The "full" installation mode installs all software that is included in the iso images. Mozilla firefox and Claws-mail are the applications chosen for your web browsing and email needs, accompanied by the pidgin IM client, the transmission torrent client and the wicd wired and wireless network manager. A complete Openoffice.org suite is provided for all your office work and evince can be used for viewing documents. Gimp is available for any image editing tasks, while viewnior is the image viewer of choice. Salix 13.1 comes with a full collection of multimedia applications; parole is a multimedia player targeted to XFCE that is lightweight yet fully functional, Exaile is a powerful music database manager and player, Brasero is used for burning optical media and Pitivi is a non-linear video editor that uses gstreamer. Salix by default comes with support for free multimedia codecs only, but installing additional multimedia codecs can easily be done using the "Install multimedia codecs" tool available under the Multimedia menu, if legislation in your country permits you to do so. Developers will find the Geany IDE and everything that is needed to compile software included by default. Other smaller applications, like the Simple-scan scanning application, the File-roller archive manager and more complete the desktop experience.

Slapt-get and its graphical interface, Gslapt are used for package management and installing software from Slackware and Salix repositories. The Salix repositories offer dependency resolution support and are the largest third party software package repositories for Slackware offered to date, for both the 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. Since Salix is backwards compatible with Slackware, Slackware users can use the Salix repositories to add software to their systems, like any Salix user can do, without having to install Salix separately. Custom Slackware 13.1 repositories, that include dependency resolution support are also provided.

One of the biggest improvements in Salix 13.1, when compared to 13.0, is the Salix system administration tools suite, rewritten from scratch in python/GTK, that includes tools to administer system users and groups, system locale and keyboard settings, system clock settings and system services. These new tools are now easier to use, yet considerably more powerful than their older version. You can find some screenshots of the system tools here: http://picasaweb.google.com/salix.artwork/SystemTools#

The "basic" installation mode, provides advanced users an installation that includes only a basic XFCE desktop environment, accompanied with the Mozilla Firefox web browser and the Gslapt package manager, that they can use as a base to add their own custom selection of applications from the repositories, while the "core" installation mode, installs a console-only system, with a minimal package selection that can be turned to anything the user wants by installing additional software with slapt-get, anything from a web/mail server to adding Xorg and a custom desktop environment.

You can find some screenshots of Salix 13.1 in our web album at: http://picasaweb.google.com/salix.artwo ... creenshots#

The Salix 13.1 32-bit and 64-bit iso images can be downloaded using our Sourceforge mirrors, or using a torrent client. You can find all the links in our downloads page: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Download

Sources for all Salix packages are available in the Salix repositories, under the "source" directory, in all our repository mirrors. Additionally, the full sources of all software that are used in the 32-bit and 64-bit iso image distributions, are provided in the form of source DVD iso images, also available in our downloads page.

Enjoy!

gapan

---
Annonce en français (french announcement) : http://fredgnix.blogspot.com/2010/06/sa ... sorti.html
kuina

Re: Salix 13.1 is here!

Post by kuina »

Congratulation! I have looked forward to this day!
My computer will continue to work by Bonsai.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Congratz! :) Downloading ...
Torrent seems to be down?
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

damNageHack wrote:Torrent seems to be down?
No.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

gapan wrote:
damNageHack wrote:Torrent seems to be down?
No.
"Normal" HTTP download is over 6,5 times faster than via torrent (only three peers) :D
Last edited by damNageHack on 4. Jun 2010, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

damNageHack wrote:"Normal" HTTP download is three times faster than via torrent (only three peers) :D
That doesn't mean that the torrent is down. It's just that there are only a few seeders for now.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

gapan wrote:That doesn't mean that the torrent is down. It's just that there are only a few seeders for now.
I know ... just a little bit surprised. :shock:
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

damNageHack wrote:I know ... just a little bit surprised. :shock:
Why? Seeders don't magically appear in hundreds when someone creates a torrent. It has to be downloaded first in order to be seeded afterwards.
Shador

Post by Shador »

damNageHack wrote:
gapan wrote:That doesn't mean that the torrent is down. It's just that there are only a few seeders for now.
I know ... just a little bit surprised. :shock:
Buy us a seedbox with let's say 10Mbit connection (better 100Mbit), then we can provide initial seeding at high speed.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I'll add Salix 13.1 on one of my servers to seed...but it needs downloading first...