Linuxtag 2010

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
damNageHack

Linuxtag 2010

Post by damNageHack »

http://www.linuxtag.org wrote:AT A GLANCE

LinuxTag 2010

Date: June 9–12, 2010
Hours: 09:00 a.m.–6:30 p.m. (the conference program starts at 10:15 a.m.)
Entrance: Hall 7 (local rail: S-Bahn Messe Süd, next to "Deutschlandhalle")
TICKET PRICES

Advance booking:

One-day ticket €12.00
Four-day ticket €20.00
NEW: day ticket for school classes €30.00

* For ordering fax form is needed (see left column)
At the Gate:

One-day ticket €14.00 (reduced €8.00**)
Pupil ticket € 5.50 ***
Four-day ticket €30.00 (reduced €16.00**)
Pupil four-day ticket €12.00 ***
NEW: free admission for children up to 8 years
** students, trainees, persons liable for military service or performing alternative services, severely handicapped persons on presentation of certification. If there is the mark “B”, “Bl”, “GL”, “aG” or “H” in your certificate of disability, the person accompanying you, has free admission.
*** proof required
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
damNageHack

Re: Linuxtag 2010

Post by damNageHack »

So I will try to post my experiences from Linuxtag 2010 in Berlin here as a new post. Sorry, I do not think that editing the original post makes much sense here due to some news available that have nothing to do with the invitation. Also, it should be a short summary of my "aha moments" there and share them :D

I heared and saw some presentations about ongoing projects and talked with the people behind those projects.

QML (Daniel Molkentin, Nokia Qt Development Framework / KDE)
There is QML, very nice programming language for graphical stuff with Qt. It looks somehow like JSON. You define objects with properties with it (for example also movements possible). There were some live coding with "works" show.

MonoDevelop (Mike Krüger, Novell)
Luckily, there is a debugger integrated. Finally! :lol: And they implemented some "widgets" that can show on-the-fly value changes of variables, those are freely movable over the main editor window. Editor was switched from an embedded gedit to some own work to have better possibilites to enhance it due to new features of coloring, code completion etc. Good IDE for C# coding but C++ (and other languages) are in contrast still rarely implemented yet.

KDevelop4 (Milian Wolff, KDE)
The developer showed the very nice feature of their enhanced (and therefore very improved and useful) C++ syntax hightlighting, this means KDevelop4 can detect which variables and functions are local or global and shows them in different languages, also when they have similiar names that are hard to differ with eyes (e.g. foo1, fool).
Furthermore, KDevelop can suggest code templates depending on the context, you can insert whole raw function bodies (with senseful logical) and generate proto. There were also some live coding examples.

GnuCash (Christian Stimming, developer; Claudia Neumann, practical doctor)
I wanted to try it for a long time now for my finances but not managed to do so and got again some reasons to start with this application :D

Keynote from Microsoft about their understanding and handling with Open Source (James Utzschneider)
Let me say it shortly: The talk was horribly boring due to the standard M$ blabla :roll:

KOffice2 (Sebastian Sauer, KDE)
Compatibility to OpenOffice.org and MSOffice native formats. File filters always convert to OpenDocument format internally and then KOffice2 interacts with conversions.

Some talks about monitoring (Nagios), version control systems (especially git) and testing automatisms
Nothing special new to me but anyways interesting.

Project-Builder.org (Bruno Cornec, Hewlett-Packard)
http://www.project-builder.org/ wrote:Project-Builder.org is a GPL tool to help you build packages of projects for multiple operating systems

Multi-Tier applications with C++ (Tommi Mäkitalo, tntnet.org) - held in german
Nice client-server "framework" that I have really missed in past for doing C++ web applications.
Version 2.0 was promised to will come in the next days. http://www.tntnet.org/

Google and Open Source (Chris DiBona, Open Source Programs Manager @ Google)
Very nice overview what Google does for Open Source and which projects they do and licences they use.

WeTab (Helmut Hoffer Von Ankershoffen, Neofonie GmbH / WeTab GmbH)
Some german (troll) talk about the promised upcoming WeTab. Oh we cool, being better than Apple but without no own ideas ...

I hope that I have forgotten nothing important. Otherwise, I will add it without any prior warning :)
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.