Fast Light Window Manager (FLWM)

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
anttel
Donor

Fast Light Window Manager (FLWM)

Post by anttel »

Hello,
In the salix repository I can't find the FLWM fast light windowmanager. I really like this window manager, because it's fast and has a sidebar instead of a top menubar. I tried to install it from source with some changes in config.h, but I got a lot of errors when I did 'make'. Could anyone make a flwm package for salix. I'd really appreciate it.
best regards,
Anttel
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: Fast Light Window Manager (FLWM)

Post by laprjns »

anttel wrote: I really like this window manager, because it's fast and has a sidebar instead of a top menubar
I don't know about fast, but xfce does allow you to move the panel to any of the fours sides you wish. Heck, you can even have panel on all four sides!
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I believe anttel is talking about the window decorations. I don't know about FLWM, but e16 can certainly do that, it depends on the theme you use. Take a look at the 23ozGlass or 7teenE theme previews at http://themes.effx.us/previews
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

gapan wrote:I believe anttel is talking about the window decorations.
Ok, your correct. :oops:
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
anttel
Donor

Post by anttel »

Thank you for the reactions. I ment the window decorations. I installed e16 form the repository, but the only theme is 'winter'. I could.nt get the other themes installed. These files have a .etheme extension and it seems e16 doesn't recognize this format. It's also not extractable. I googled about this, but I couldn't get any info on this subject.

FLWM is cleaner and uses les memory than e16. Here's the link to it's website:
http://flwm.sourceforge.net/

Tinycore linux uses flwm as default. I tried to get flwm working from the source code, but I only got a lot of errors during the make command. My knowledge of this process not enough to understand what I should do.
Any help is very welcome.
regards
anttel
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

e16 theme files don't have to be extracted, although they are standard .tar.gz files, just with a different extension. You can just put them in your ~/.e16/themes and they will appear in your e16 menus after reloading e16 config.
Shador

Post by Shador »

I don't think we can provide each and every window manager out there. Just too many (similar) window managers exists. Our Team is too limited to provide packages to an extent like big distributions.
If our resources seem reasonably used (e.g. widely used) for a certain package, it's usually just a matter of time. Providing too many packages with too few maintainers only results in poor package quality, you could see that very well some time ago with Zenwalk when they lost quite some supporters. I guess it's much better nowadays.
In any case you might always find a curious mind with some spare time for a little challenge, which packages your desired application. So it does no harm if you ask. :?: :idea:
But you would much more prefer the feeling of freedom the ability to install most software yourself gives. Well asked questions (e.g. providing all needed information while still to the point) regarding the building of some application are always welcome. :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Shador wrote:I guess it's much better nowadays.
Not what I'm hearing. :twisted:
anttel
Donor

Post by anttel »

It's logical that not every request can be rewarded. I've got a question about e16 config. How do I run this? Do I restart the system?
regards,
anttel
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

There is an option in the menu (right or middle click, don't really remember now) to reload the config and restart e16.