firefox 4 beta

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: firefox 4 beta

Post by thenktor »

Shador wrote:You can also use this switch:

Code: Select all

-no-remote		Open new instance, not a new window in running instance.
Very useful for example too for X forwarding as otherwise only a new window in the local instance is opened instead of a new instance on the remote host. It's only documented for thunderbird but works with firefox fine as well.
Nice tip :)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Hmm, I'll try running apps from the console some more. I think I may have run up against some kind of permissions problems when I did it before; certainly, some pretty unhappy-sounding output in the console. If I continue to have trouble, I'll put up a post with some examples, given that you suggest it should be equivalent to working in X. Also, you may remember that my filesystems are all corrupt, so all bets are presumably off till I get that fixed. Though from the way my machine's running today, you'd never guess.

@grub I think I must mean 0.x. It's definitely not grub2.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

mimosa wrote:I think I may have run up against some kind of permissions problems when I did it before; certainly, some pretty unhappy-sounding output in the console. If I continue to have trouble, I'll put up a post with some examples
Yes, please give any examples. I cannot imagine any problems when starting a program from terminal instead of the menu.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Ok, now that the filesystem at least in Salix seems to be kosher, here goes.

The problem seems to be when being root:

tim[~]$ su
Password: 
root[tim]# exaile
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/exaile.py", line 56, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/exaile.py", line 53, in main
    exaile = main.Exaile()
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/xl/main.py", line 85, in __init__
    if xldbus.check_exit(self.options, self.args):
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/xl/xldbus.py", line 49, in check_exit
    bus = dbus.SessionBus()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 219, in __new__
    mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 108, in __new__
    bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 125, in __new__
    bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
root[tim]# 
which would hardly be necessary to listen to Mozart, but is often enough a reason one might want to run a GUI-based application from the console. Exaile ran fine just now without my being root, though there were a few error messages like this:

(exaile.py:9293): libglade-WARNING **: unknown property `orientation' for class `GtkVBox'
The tip about appending & is very handy, by the way.

Incidentally, have I got this right?

tim[firefox]$ firefox -no-remote
because it tells me:

Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system. OK
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Does Mozart demand do be listened by the root user?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That would hardly be necessary.
Shador

Post by Shador »

I guess the problem is that when you su to become root you don't actually log in so some stuff doesn't become initialized/started and the according environment variables remain unset. At least that might explain the dbus errors.
Is it working without su?
mimosa wrote:Incidentally, have I got this right?
Yes and I'm getting the same message too. Seems like it only works when doing X forwarding through ssh to another machine. :|
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Yes, it's only after su that there is a problem. As gapan said, why would Mozart need to be listened to as root? (Though maybe some music - Rammstein? - would require nothing less ...) But I just tried

su -
(albeit on a different [token], though identical [type], machine) and it works.

The only time I want to do this in practice is to overcome some permissions problem that presumably really calls for a proper solution - after all, why else is it forbidden to log in to X as root? For instance, I find I can't write to the /home or /usr/local partition I set up through ncurses, fiddle with fstab, get nowhere, want to save some serious amounts of data, for instance some recently downloaded CDs stored on a machine with apparently corrupted filesystems, and for the time being, it solves my problem. (I may post about these permissions problems again in the future if I don't get anywhere on my own.) Normally, I would just boot my trusty Puppy 4.3.1 CD and use its Australian muscle, but that particular machine has lost its optical drive.

PS

I should say the console output still doesn't look completely happy, though it is as we speak playing the music. As ever with this software, I'm not sure quite what I clicked on to get it to actually perform a sonata:

root@darkstar:~# exaile
INFO    : Loading Exaile 0.3.1.2...
INFO    : Loading settings...
INFO    : Setting up deferred idle manager function...
INFO    : Loading plugins...
INFO    : Loading collection...
INFO    : Loading devices...
INFO    : Loading interface...
INFO    : HAL Providers: [<cd.CDHandler object at 0x87a610c>]
INFO    : Loading main window...
INFO    : Connecting main window events...
INFO    : Loading panels...
INFO    : Connecting panel events...
INFO    : Done loading main window...
INFO    : Scanning library: file:///root
INFO    : Scanning library: file:///media/disk/Mozart%20Complete%20Piano%20Sonatas%20D.Barenboim%20Piano/cd%205%20k533,545,570,576
INFO    : Playing file:///media/disk/Mozart%20Complete%20Piano%20Sonatas%20D.Barenboim%20Piano/cd%205%20k533,545,570,576/01%20I.%20Allegro%20533.mp3
http://lyricsfly.com/api/api.php?i=46102e76dde1a145b-exaile.org&a=Piano Sonata in F major% K% %%&t=% I% Allegro %%
'<center>\n<h1>Forbidden access</h1><br>\n<h5>Sorry... you don\'t have access to this folder!</h5><br>\n<a href="../">lyricsfly.com</a>\n</center>'
INFO    : Playing file:///media/disk/Mozart%20Complete%20Piano%20Sonatas%20D.Barenboim%20Piano/cd%205%20k533,545,570,576/02%20II.%20Andante%20533.mp3
http://lyricsfly.com/api/api.php?i=46102e76dde1a145b-exaile.org&a=Piano Sonata in F major% K% %%&t=% II% Andante %%
http://lyricsfly.com/api/api.php?i=46102e76dde1a145b-exaile.org&a=Piano Sonata in F major% K% %%&t=% II% Andante %%
'<center>\n<h1>Forbidden access</h1><br>\n<h5>Sorry... you don\'t have access to this folder!</h5><br>\n<a href="../">lyricsfly.com</a>\n</center>'
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Ah, but looking at it, it is trying to do some tiresomely helpful thing and download the lyrics of Mozart's sonata for me, as if I were listening to a Michael Jackson song. Better luck with Rammstein? I doubt it, really.
lmello

Post by lmello »

mimosa wrote:Ah. Yes, that did it. It's what you don't know you don't know that trips you up, so much of the time.

It really does feel very fast, by the way.
Nice, but how does HTML5 fare?