(done) Salix 13.1 filesystem

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
damNageHack

Re: (done) Salix 13.1 filesystem

Post by damNageHack »

lmello wrote:Aren't those messages gone when you make an initrd and boot the generic kernel instead?
I am afraid that I do not understand exactly what you mean. Initrd is not for newbies wanting an out-of-the-box working installation and it needs to be rebuilt for every new kernel image cause of the modules included into initrd (although the slack kernel does not change so much often...). So initrd sucks mainly. :P (I have some experiences with lvm support that needs such an initrd.)
I do not have the test environment for the described behaviour any more, so I've closed the thread to "done". For me, the problem is solved. :)
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
lmello

Post by lmello »

damNageHack wrote:Initrd is not for newbies
Yes, I see. Nowadays the very first thing I do after installation is changing to the generic kernel. I always keep the boot entry for the huge kernel on lilo for backup, if anything goes wrong with the initrd. Learned the hard way, AKA the kernel panic path.

:oops:
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

lmello wrote:Yes, I see. Nowadays the very first thing I do after installation is changing to the generic kernel.
Why? :P
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

lmello wrote:if anything goes wrong with the initrd. Learned the hard way, AKA the kernel panic path.
Look into /usr/share/mkinitrd/ or /usr/share/initrd-tools/ somewhere (depends on the distribution). There should be a script which can suggest you the command line to create a correct initrd.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
lmello

Post by lmello »

thenktor wrote:
lmello wrote:Yes, I see. Nowadays the very first thing I do after installation is changing to the generic kernel.
Why? :P
I need those 5 Mb of RAM!

:lol:
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

lmello wrote:I need those 5 Mb of RAM!
:lol:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)