BCM4312 Wireless Problems

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
lmello

Re: BCM4312 Wireless Problems

Post by lmello »

This !@$% card is problematic. Every kernel release and you'll have to try a different method to get it working:

In Slackware 12.2 I used ndiswrapper.
In Slackware 13.0 I used the tarball provided at Broadcom's website.
In Slackware 13.1 I used the b43-firmware and b43-fwcutter packages from SBo.

:x

Thankfully, the box I run Salix on has an atheros-compatible wireless card.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

In all three Slackware releases I was able to use the driver on the Broadcom website. I used the slackbuild script from SBo to create the package in each case. It's been 100% consistently solid for me with the STA driver from the Broadcom site, at least with the revision I have in this machine and the one I had in a crappy Gateway laptop which died prematurely. That's why I recommend sticking with the STA driver, at least for now.

Yes, the Atheros 5xxx chipsets are very well supported now. A few years ago you had to use madwifi or ndiswrapper and they were problematic too. :mrgreen: Thankfully that is no longer the case.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

sqlpython wrote:
I'm sorry but I did try b43 first. It absolutely, positively does not work with my hardware which is a BCM 4312 chipset.
I also have been connecting my 4312 via the b43 for quite some time, at least since 2.6.32. No, I checked actually before that kernel. As christian had mentioned perhaps you have a particular hardware version quirk.

and BTW my 4312 won't work with STA.... go figure..
I don't think it's a quirk. Broadcom is notorious for changing things without changing model numbers. Their hba cards for SAN connections have also had similar issues. It's just the way Broadcom is.
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

I don't think it's a quirk. Broadcom is notorious for changing things without changing model numbers
Yep, quite likely. Broadcom shares very little info.
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate