New User Coming Aboard: Hello and Thank You.

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
Dennola4

New User Coming Aboard: Hello and Thank You.

Post by Dennola4 »

Hi there,

I am brand new to Salix and am very excited about it. My history with Linux began with Puppy. I didn't quite "get it", but I found the community to be extremely close, friendly, helpful, and open-minded.

In an effort to actually understand Linux I rolled up my sleeves and downloaded Slackware. Slackware tends to get bad press with regard to user-friendliness for newbies, but I swear I did everything exactly wrong on that machine for years and somehow it just kept working!

Anyway, when Slackware 13.0 came along I had to make a decision: start all over with Slackware, from the beginning (tinker, tinker, tinker), or move to an easier out-of-the-box distro for my simple personal uses on my laptop. I discovered Zenwalk. I was impressed with Zenwalk and really did try to embrace it, but for me the spirit of an OS's community is as important as the functionality of the OS itself, and I felt that there was a disconnect between myself and Zenwalk. Also, I value Slackware's conservatism regarding new releases, whereas Zenwalk seemed a bit too ambitious. In my humble opinion Zenwalk prioritizes the question, "what's new?", whereas Slackware continues to concern itself with "what's best?" Not a slam at all, but in the end I found that I couldn't reconcile myself to this philosophical deviation.

I tried Arch Linux (thank God for good documentation) and it's excellent, but I just really missed the familiarity of the Slackware environment. So I've been using good old Puppy Linux as my primary OS and putting off a full Slackware 13.1 install and set-up. By "set-up" I mean the weeks worth of work we tend to put into making our personal computers truly personal.

So there I was, Googling txz packages for use on my TXZ_pup install (compliments of Puppy Forum member Big Bass) and I found the Salix repository. "Salix? What the hell is that?", I wondered. Well, from the moment I encountered the repo I knew you guys were the answer. Everything about your OS, from the website to the desktop to the photos and biographies of the devs says "good, genuine, sincere, dedicated, reliable, selfless", and mostly importantly, "reverent" with regard to the giant on whose shoulders you are necessarily standing (Slackware, of course).

Thank you for a great OS; I look forward to using it and to doing what I can by way of contribution to help keep it going.

-Dennis in New Orleans, LA, USA
There are no stupid questions.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: New User Coming Aboard: Hello and Thank You.

Post by gapan »

Great post Dennis! Welcome, hope you're feeling like home. :)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Thanks for this post and welcome Dennis!
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Thanks for the encouragement. Welcome! :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.