Default Theme

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
ray

Default Theme

Post by ray »

Salix currently uses Clearlooks as the default theme.
Although clearlooks does look nice, it does feel very dated and not really elegant

I'd like to suggest using Equinox as the default theme going forward.

Although this might not be everyone's choice, it'll atleast have a discussion started :)

Cheers,
ray
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Default Theme

Post by thenktor »

Equinox needs an aditional gtk engine. Both are available here: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=121881
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
ray

Post by ray »

@thenktor
Yes, i have been using it for quite some time now.
If i wasnt clear enough, i made this thread to propose it as the salix default theme inplace of clearlooks.

Cheers,
ray
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

ray wrote:If i wasnt clear enough, i made this thread to propose it as the salix default theme inplace of clearlooks.
I know ;) I'm not a Clearlooks fan, too. But to be honest: One thing that open source really lacks are good theme designers. Most themes I've used so far have some flaws here or there.
I'll test this Equinox theme though.
ray

Post by ray »

thenktor wrote: I know ;) I'm not a Clearlooks fan, too. But to be honest: One thing that open source really lacks are good theme designers. Most themes I've used so far have some flaws here or there.
I'll test this Equinox theme though.
Heh, i tend to change themes around whenever there's something new :)
But, i've stuck with equinox from the day i've tried it.

The icon theme Faenza, by the same guy is very good too.
You could try that too.

Cheers,
ray
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Nice one, switched to it for now. IMHO the scrollbars are not optimal in Equinox.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

I've used this set of icons too, for a while (proof [1] [2])
But if you guys like it, then make a package for it.

These icons and the current in my opinion, weight too much, comparing to the size of SalixOS

Code: Select all

58M     gnome
3.0M    gnome-brave
16M     gnome-colors-common
3.0M    gnome-dust
3.0M    gnome-human
3.0M    gnome-illustrious
3.0M    gnome-noble
3.0M    gnome-wine
3.0M    gnome-wise
94M     total
Note: If you'll remove this icon pack (GNOME-colors) I'll reinstall it, since this is a must have. And ,for the record, more than a year ago I was one of the first users that suggested to the Xubuntu team/managers (or "policy makers", they were very vague and unreachable) to provide by default a pack of GNOME-colors icons (link to one deleted thread).
But still, this (comparing to the size of the distro) is pretty big, don't you think?

Besides you really need to modify the current packs because some icons are obsolete (for instance: Baobab (Disk Usage Analyzer) which is not even available at the GSB repositories...) and there's no shortcut to an archive icon for .txz files... etc.
You can reduce the size (I bet by a few MBs) of the current packs. let's start with how to make the current icon packs flawless.

Just my non-experienced opinion...
And, maybe, a lightweight distro like Salix need to have, by default, icon packs that will not weight more than 50MB and yet, very eye/sight/view/user friendly. :roll:
Last edited by zAchAry on 16. Sep 2010, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
ray

Post by ray »

@zAchAry,

Not sure where you got those sizes, gslapt says gnome-icon-theme weighs in at 8778K.

And, I'm not suggesting that we replace the icon theme with faenza. Merely suggesting it to thenktor.
I was only suggesting Equinox gtk theme.

Cheers,
ray
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

ray wrote:@zAchAry,

Not sure where you got those sizes, gslapt says gnome-icon-theme weighs in at 8778K.
I checked it with

Code: Select all

$ du -chs /usr/share/icons/gnome /usr/share/icons/gnome-colors-common
ray wrote:And, I'm not suggesting that we replace the icon theme with faenza. Merely suggesting it to thenktor.
I was only suggesting Equinox gtk theme.

Cheers,
ray
I figured why not posting it here since I was thinking about these small problems with the icons set and I couldn't think how when and where to post it ;)
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
ray

Post by ray »

thenktor wrote:Nice one, switched to it for now. IMHO the scrollbars are not optimal in Equinox.
We could tweak it for Salix and have scrollbars from murrine or even pixmap ones.
I could do the tweaks if someone suggested some :D

Cheers,
ray