non-root username - SOLVED - one

mimosa
Salix Warrior

non-root username - SOLVED - one

Post by mimosa »

Please forgive this question - but I have searched and also tried loads of guesses.

OK, the root password is in the FAQ. But what is the normal user's username?

I think I managed to guess this when I first downloaded a Salix live cd. But I can't remember it now. I do remember that the default user has a blank password, but if not, please tell me that too!

No doubt this information is availanle in a really, really prominent place - in front of my nose. But I couldn't find it in the FAQ or on the downloads page. Would it be a good idea to put it in these two places as well, just as insurance?

Better still would be the login screen (discreetly as something to click near the bottom, perhaps?) but I appreciate that aesthetic criteria might argue against this.

EDIT

Ok, I have found it:

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1275

... but if that is the only place it is, I don't feel a complete fool, as that is really not an obvious place and also you have to scroll down through quite a long initial announcement that doesn't seem to have the information. I can't imagine how I guessed that originally :idea: :

EDIT For anyone else with the same problem who's reading this, it is

one

with no password
Last edited by mimosa on 21. Sep 2010, 10:02, edited 2 times in total.
damNageHack

Re: non-root usernme

Post by damNageHack »

Create your own user afterwards with a custom password :?: :!:
I am really getting nervous about that useless discussion. Sorry :(
Last edited by damNageHack on 21. Sep 2010, 09:09, edited 2 times in total.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Well, if you can't find the information, it seems fair enough to ask. And I think it wouldn't hurt to put the information in more (and more obvious) places, though I probably wouldn't have posted if I'd found it first. I must have spent a good half an hour looking unsuccessfully.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: non-root username - SOLVED - one

Post by thenktor »

burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

thenktor wrote:I've changed the wiki page: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Salix_Live_logins
Maybe write this link in the gdm dialog instead of putting directly the password there - Idea?
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

damNageHack wrote:Create your own user afterwards with a custom password :?: :!:
I am really getting nervous about that useless discussion. Sorry :(
And I'm really getting peeved when I see you acting like a moderator of this forum, when you do not even use our distribution apart from some (somewhat useful, it is true) vbox testing. :?

As we asked you in the past, please refrain from posting your opinion on every thread of this forum, it really is not necessary & is not always useful.

Sorry too. :!:

To come back to your post mimosa, it is not at all useless, much to the contrary. Thanks for bringing this up, I wrote this info in the guide, but it was not obvious enough. And thank you thenktor for adding it to the wiki.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Akuna, i wrote in another thread that it would be probably a good idea to link to the wikipage. ;)

And to our (now open - thanks to make an appointment) discussion about my opinion.
First, I removed with intention my (default) signature. And second, I post only to those topics in which I am also interested, you know that I have plans to maybe return from Fedora to Salix, so ... ???
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

@ damnagehack,

Point is your particular post above was:
1- rather rude
2- rather useless

Yet you have shown that you can do better when you try. Please keep on trying. tx
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.