Introducing myself

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
bioterror

Introducing myself

Post by bioterror »

Hello, I'm a new Salix OS user from Finland.
I've been using Linux since 1998, my first distro was Red Hat 5.2 Manhattan if I remember correctly.

I've been running FreeBSD (nowdays pfsense) on my firewall/nat server, which actually draw me into try Arch Linux on my laptop, but it wasnt my piece of cake, and the Archbang discussion forum was a little hostile.
So I tried to find myself another distro to try out and I found Salix OS from distrowatch.

I first tried Salix LXDE, but it wasnt feeling as good as Lubuntu 10.10 on my work laptop, so I decided to give a try to XFCE4 version of Salix and I'm more into it. It feels like I've used it for a longer time than I really have.

You can find me from #salix@irc.freenode.net, but as I am a husband and father of two childs, I might not be always talking, aswering and helping people out. ;)

See ya here and there ;)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Akuna »

Hi & welcome to Salix :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

Welcome, bioterror ;)
bioterror wrote:I first tried Salix LXDE, but it wasnt feeling as good as Lubuntu 10.10 on my work laptop
Currently I'm using Salix XFCE edition (which is really awesome) and I maybe will switch to Salix LXDE, but you wrote that Lubuntu 10.10 is somehow better, if you may, please post your criticism and your opinions on how to improve Salix LXDE.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Hi and welcome! No idea if other devs are hanging around in the IRC channel. Usually you can find me in the evening in our jabber room ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
bioterror

Post by bioterror »

zAchAry wrote:Welcome, bioterror ;)
bioterror wrote:I first tried Salix LXDE, but it wasnt feeling as good as Lubuntu 10.10 on my work laptop
Currently I'm using Salix XFCE edition (which is really awesome) and I maybe will switch to Salix LXDE, but you wrote that Lubuntu 10.10 is somehow better, if you may, please post your criticism and your opinions on how to improve Salix LXDE.
Okay, I'm trying to find something to write about ;)
I even booted to Lubuntu from Windows, becouse it's a little quiet at work right now.

http://ricecows.org/lubuntu10.10.png

If we take a look at that pic, we can see how they have polished it.
The look is one thing, that lxpanel looks really really great, at least to my eye.

wicd isnt my thing, I like that gnome's NetworkManager Applet a lot more, but I can live with wicd too, it's not a problem.

nm-app also gives you ability to use mobile boardbands more easily, with one same program.

Damn, I really should have these both on different laptops (or virtual machines) and test side by side. At the end, these things are small, but somehow those matters.

Ofcourse lubuntu might have newer lxde packages?
Lubuntu just looks plain and boring, but somehow it manages to look good.

But still, I'm using Salix on my home laptop, and wondering if I will someday replace my Desktop's Linux Mint with it. I'm on a test drive and so far everything is alright. :twisted:
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

bioterror wrote:If we take a look at that pic, we can see how they have polished it.
The look is one thing, that lxpanel looks really really great, at least to my eye.
Just another gtk and icon theme. There is already a discussion about it in another theme. The Openbox theme IMHO is quite ugly on that screenshot.
wicd isnt my thing, I like that gnome's NetworkManager Applet a lot more, but I can live with wicd too, it's not a problem.

nm-app also gives you ability to use mobile boardbands more easily, with one same program.
NetworkManager is a dependency mess.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
bioterror

Post by bioterror »

thenktor wrote:
bioterror wrote:If we take a look at that pic, we can see how they have polished it.
Just another gtk and icon theme. There is already a discussion about it in another theme. The Openbox theme IMHO is quite ugly on that screenshot.

Yeah, what comes to LXDE: less it uses GNOME, more better it is.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Do you want to embedd LXDE into GNOME :?: Wah... please call 112 :D
ray

Post by ray »

thenktor wrote:

Lubuntu has too many gnome-deps, i think they're going the same way Xubuntu did.
Adding gnome-deps to make do is just adding a lot of weight.
And frankly IMO, chrome and other apps Lubuntu uses dont really come under light-weight either.

As for the theme, i think the default theme is clearlooks with the elementary icon theme.
As for the panel, i think they are using a custom bg.

Cheers,
ray
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Welcome !