Very Nice OS for old computers

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
wayne

Very Nice OS for old computers

Post by wayne »

Greeting,
I am long time windows user. My most stable machine is WinXP, and fastest is Win7.
I started Linux learning about two months ago, and tried many distros.
I must say Salix is one of the top 5 i am using because it can be installed very quickily and runs fast on old computers. Before I knew about Salix, i have converted a very old laptop ( it does not run even WinXp, it just crawl) using one small footprint Linux distros and it becomes very fast !!. This was given to a person who is in late 50 and know nothing of computer, Now this person is happy using it for simple application on listening to music, watch Youtube and play movie files.

I am waiting for next opportunity on old machine and i know i will install Salix, because it runs fast and nice looking also, nicer look than the first old machine i converted.

At this point i have installed an old laptop ( 5 year old) and another old desktop ( 7 year old, ex owner disposed it because it was just too slow running Win XP). this post is typed using the 7 year old running Salix 13.1.1

I am thinking of converting another very old machine, celeron 2G cpu for file and printer server plus future web server, but i do not know if it will be suitable.

thank you very much for this wonderful OS.
best wishes
bioterror

Re: Very Nice OS for old computers

Post by bioterror »

Nice to hear, that you have given a completely new lives to old laptops and computers.
And even a joy to someone using internet safely.

But what comes to the server with 2GHz Celeron CPU, it's not _old_.
You can easily run it as a fileserver, webserver, irc-server, you name it.

It really doesnt matter how fast the CPU is, if you dont compile stuff by yourself.
I have even used some old Sun Microsystems machines (UltraSparc IIe) as my servers and compiled all the applications I need and keep them upgraded.

It's all up to your nerves, but as you're going to run a distributio which uses a package manager, your only concern is speed of harddrives and ethernet ;)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

I've got one of these http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/produc ... _dockstar/ with Armed Slack. It's really enough fpr all kind of home servers and has much less power consumption than every PC.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
wayne

Post by wayne »

bioterror wrote: But what comes to the server with 2GHz Celeron CPU, it's not _old_.
You can easily run it as a fileserver, webserver, irc-server, you name it.

It really doesnt matter how fast the CPU is, if you dont compile stuff by yourself.
I have even used some old Sun Microsystems machines (UltraSparc IIe) as my servers and compiled all the applications I need and keep them upgraded.

It's all up to your nerves, but as you're going to run a distributio which uses a package manager, your only concern is speed of harddrives and ethernet ;)
Hi bioterror,
nice to read your comment, i did not know what is suitable for this old box, now sitting at a corner.
there is a nagging sound in my nerve telling me to play with server, but i have never like server for whatever reason in my life of using computer.. ha: i think that was when i was too busy making a living working
now i am more relax, this thing come to me again..
my problem is i have no experience at all on server...

hi thenktor
yes, i like those thing, i knew there are many small box with just a small controller and worked wonder,
in fact i have gigabit wireless router with USB port, and what i did was use that as file and print server, with firmware supporting it. no worry on power consumption, the USB driver sleep by itself after prolong time of inactivity.
but i did not like its low file transfer speed.. 2-5Mb/s.

so the nagging still go on in me...