Installer . unbootable system

damNageHack

Installer . unbootable system

Post by damNageHack »

I tested with first "de-latin1-nodeadkeys" / "de_DE.utf8" and then again default settings for "us". Also, selected german and english settings in GRUB.
Unfortunately, the system is then unbootable. LILO (?) writes "99 99 99 99 99 ..." on the console. :o
It is a vbox with prepared partition table, swap /dev/sda2 and root /dev/sda1, just as the original slackware installer has done prior for a default installation.
The installer seems to be useless for me. Sorry. :(
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Installer . unbootable system

Post by Akuna »

damNageHack wrote: The installer seems to be useless for me. Sorry. :
http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8872#p8872 :?
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

It does not happen with a FULL installation, but actually with BASIC. I do not know about CORE, not tested.
Bug?
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

damNageHack wrote:It does not happen with a FULL installation, but actually with BASIC. I do not know about CORE, not tested.
Bug?
Thanks, that clarifies things. will look into this. ;)
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Akuna wrote:Thanks, that clarifies things. will look into this. ;)
Thanks also.
Please let me know when there is a new release or a commit to svn.
I would like then to take another test due to my intention to install (maybe :?: ) Salix instead of Fedora. ;)
blonde_rabbit

Post by blonde_rabbit »

Hi. I had this problem also (Unable to set the new keyboard selection (en_US.utf8) on the installation target) trying to do the "Basic" installation (Salix 13.1.1 LXDE).
Chose trying the full install and the installer finished with no problems but trying to start the new installation received the error message that "X" failed to start would you like to view the file to attempt to correct the problem, and I would have, but the keyboard and mouse were both incapacitated. Thank you for your time.

Intel 865GLC Onboard Extreme2 Graphics, Pentium IV 3.2HT, 2G Ram, USB Mouse, Keyboard
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Thanks for this confirmation of the problem.

So what you are saying now is that the keyboard problem is also present in a full install?

Could both of you run the live installer from a terminal & paste the eventual error messages here?

Code: Select all

salix-live-installer.py
Tx
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Akuna wrote:So what you are saying now is that the keyboard problem is also present in a full install?
Yes, i can also confirm that. But this was the intention of the other thread I've opened.
We can concentrate all to this thread, no problem.

Due to the console try, I can do that in the afternoon.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

blonde_rabbit wrote:Hi. I had this problem also (Unable to set the new keyboard selection (en_US.utf8) on the installation target) trying to do the "Basic" installation (Salix 13.1.1 LXDE).
en_US.utf8 is a locale selection not a keyboard selection. Please clarify.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

@Akuna: Luckily I found another challenge for you ;)
Attached two usb keys, say /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1, to VBox, I select sdb1 as root but i do not want sda1 to be touched at all. It is not possible to install! The install button remains greyed.
EDIT: When I click on "Apply settings" I am asked if I want to format sda1, but I don't. And I can not change the tabs any more, the application seems to be frozen.