boot tip [hugesmp.s root=/dev/sdax rdinit= ro]

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
witek

boot tip [hugesmp.s root=/dev/sdax rdinit= ro]

Post by witek »

I`m not sure why the useful prompt during the boot of installation CD was removed. I mean the one informing how to boot an existing installation from the hard disk (priceles after LILO/GRUB crash):

Code: Select all

hugesmp.s root=/dev/sdax rdinit= ro
where x stands for your partition number

It happened to me recently that after another distro upgrade GRUB crashed and I saved the day thanks to keeping in memory the above command.
Last edited by witek on 17. Jun 2011, 13:35, edited 2 times in total.
damNageHack

Re: boot tip

Post by damNageHack »

Make usage a backup strategy ;)
I suggest backintime as the tool to choose.
witek

Re: boot tip

Post by witek »

Either you got it wrong or I didn`t express myself clear enough. I know howto backup MBR, and I`m not complaining about GRUB crashes.

I`m suggesting Salix to include this tip that Slackware shows on its screen as it is very useful. Having this line on the screen would be useful for those people who don`t know about the possibility of booting into existing installation on harddisk. When I first saw this command in Slackware I tested it and it worked. Later on it saved me several times when I messed up my LILO. I was able to recover my installation thanks to this simple command.