Some thoughts about Salix, Slack, etc. / Opera 11 SLKBUILD

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Some thoughts about Salix, Slack, etc. / Opera 11 SLKBUI

Post by gapan »

OK, I have added the -p switch to makepkg by default in version 0.8.5 and also added a 'nolinkprepend' option to disable that in the SLKBUILD file if someone really needs to. Packages have been uploaded to the current and 13.1 repositories. I think that takes care of everything.

And thanks for the kind words. :)
ruario

Post by ruario »

That is perfect for me, thanks! ;)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

ruario wrote:True and actually we know this. We are a bit of a victim of history here. We set it to $HOME/.opera when it was common for apps to save their profiles in home directories. If we change it now we have to deal with upgrade issues of moving long term users default profiles. A lot of users make use of alternative directories for their profiles either by setting this variable or via '-pd' so we have to be careful we don't cause and issues. If done incorrectly we risk having users seemingly lose their setup. In the long run we will probably do this (and have Opera's cache stored in '$HOME/.cache/opera') in the mean time we make do with not being totally compliant here. By all means set OPERA_PERSONALDIR to $HOME/.config/opera in the startup script /usr/bin/opera on the SLKBUILD, if you feel it need to be done for compliance with your distro but expect some users to be confused unless you can think of a good way of warning them of this change.
OK, so I guess it's better to be compliant with the standard Opera packages for now. Next release will return to your default.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

I recently installed Opera mini on my Blackberry (the OS 5 browser is painfully inadequate) so I thought I'd take a longer look at the main Opera browser.

Since our package is out of date I decided to install a newer version and I came across your opt2slk package.

Can I suggest we have this in the repository for Salix 13.2 as opupdate made the process so much easier.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

We have the latest Opera package in current and after dependency checking I'll upload it to the 13.1 repo, too.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Do you intend to maintain the package like Firefox is?
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

You can always update Opera on your own ;)
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

pwatk wrote:...
Since our package is out of date I decided to install a newer version and I came across your opt2slk package.

Can I suggest we have this in the repository for Salix 13.2 as opupdate made the process so much easier.
:roll: ;)
ruario

Post by ruario »

pwatk wrote:Since our package is out of date I decided to install a newer version and I came across your op2slk package.
Cool, glad someone else found it useful! ;)
pwatk wrote:Can I suggest we have this in the repository for Salix 13.2 as opupdate made the process so much easier.
I wrote that opupdate script initially for myself because I have to test on lots of distros for work and not all of them have Opera in their own repositories. I also needed a way to quickly get the latest snapshot (public testing/development) releases in addition to stable versions. opupdate is not the most beautiful script, as it is quick hack job of several other scripts I had written for slightly different things but it works. I wrote op2slk separately (from scratch) for users on other 'Slackware based distros', and also so that our snapshot users could get Opera installed natively. I eventually bundled them because I found I was using them together on my own Slackware installs.

However, I don't think most Salix users need opupdate because most people don't use our snapshots and Opera stable seems to be pretty well maintained here already. If you are tracking the stable Opera releases, then using slapt-get will do the job nicely and you don't need opupdate (or even op2slk).

That said, if you get impatient and want to get the Opera finals before they appear in the official repository here, or you want to start tracking our snapshots then by all means, use these scripts. :D
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

My main concern is security and stability which is obviously the reason why Firefox is updated so frequently.

If Opera is also considered to be an on going concern then I agree there is no need for this package to be in the repository. Is this the case already?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not try to step on anyones toes here (thenktor), I just thought this could save time and effort if Opera is only being updated with each Salix release!