No network after core install

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Shador

Re: No network after core install

Post by Shador »

tecwizrd wrote:I wonder what is different in Salix that is not present in Slackware. I have had this work under Slackware.
There's almost no difference between Slackware 13.0 and Salix 13.0. Look here: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/P ... _Slackware
Nothing is related to network.

I guess something in your setup is different than when you set it up with Slackware 13.0. But I'm not in a position to analyze this properly. I can only guess and given the few information I have and you're special setup that's very difficult.
Maybe you've got wicd running along. Try chmod -x /etc/rc.d/rc.wicd if it is even installed. (I assume you're configuring your nic using /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf)
Check the output of ifconfig eth0, route and cat /etc/resolv.conf, whether all parameters have been properly applied.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

tecwizrd wrote:I wonder what is different in Salix that is not present in Slackware.
There is nothing different. If it works in one and doesn't work with the other, it's only a matter of configuration.
tecwizrd

Post by tecwizrd »

OK, before I go back into Salix from this livecd. Could it be a problem with group or user permissions? I will check to see if I belong to the net(work) group. I am confounded as to why this works in other distos and not Salix.
tecwizrd

Post by tecwizrd »

Alright! I post this from my new SalixOS box. I felt like it was a driver problem, or permissions.

To fix the issue I was having:

Go here to get the driver for the card.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... RTL8111DP

I did not have network under Salix so I installed the kernel source from a Slackware 13 dvd

cd /media/SlackDVD/slackware64/k/
installpkg kernel-source-2.6.29.6-noarch-2.txz

bunzip2 the file you get in the previous step.
bunzip2 r8168-8.018.00.tar.bzip

untar the said file
tar xvfp r8168-8.018.00.tar

cd to the build dir.
cd r8168-8.018.00/

Build and install driver.
make clean modules
make install
modprobe -r r8169
depmod -a
modprobe r8168

Blacklist the r8169 module.