First test version of Salix Live 13.1

Akuna
Salix Wizard

First test version of Salix Live 13.1

Post by Akuna »

JRD just finished a test copy of Salix Live 13.1 which you can get from here:
http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive ... ,10:25.iso
http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive ... 25.iso.md5

This is with kernel 2.6.33.4, the last LLS upgraded with Salix patches, Aufs2, Squashfs4 & Lzma compression.

Happy testing & bug squishing. Your feedback & reports will be most helpful. Thanks! ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
fitus

Re: First test version of Salix Live 13.1

Post by fitus »

is this the latest salix? on the first post you said that the software version was from 13.0, is this a new version or the same one as this

Code: Select all

Salix Live 13.0.1 is a maintenance release made with all the software that was present in Salix 13.0.2a standard iso. This includes Salix new GTK system tools, as well as any bugfix & security upgrades that have been added to Salix 13.0 stable repository. Salix Live installer & LiloSetup also benefited from a number of improvements, various bugfix & new translations. 
just to be sure and not ending with 2 isos of the same

Fitus
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I'm off with my family on holiday away from home, staying at my sister-in-law in Ohio. All I have with me is my company issued Dell laptop with Windows Xp. Surfing the net with the system locked up (no administrator privileges) is not a lot fun. So seeing that that there was a test version of Salix Live I though I download, burn a live cd and use it to keep in touch with the world. The results is that I am now connected via the laptop using Salix Live 13.1 and all seems to be working, Was a bit of a problem getting up and running, but nothing that can be directly attributed to Salix Live.
The first issue was burning the cd. Window Media Player cannot burn iso's and there is was no other burning software installed, so I had to burn the cd on my brother-in laws computer. Once burned I was able to pop the cd into the laptop and it booted (bios configuration is not locked on the computer!) up with out problems, It does seem to boot faster than past Salix Live cd that I've used.
The big problem was with wireless. It's a Dell laptop so it has a Broadcom BCM4312 chip set.

root[one]# lspci -v | grep Broad
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
So at boot up I was getting the following errors:

b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43/ucode15.fw
b43 ssb0:0: firmware: requesting b43-open/ucode15.fw
b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode15.fw" not found
b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode15.fw" not found
b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website
Not wanting to compile anything I decide to use ndiswrapper since I already had the windows driver on the laptop hard drive. Using ndigtk, I was able to install the window driver without problems. I then removed both the b43 and ssb modules (rmmod b43 ssb) and tried loading the ndiswrapper module, which promptly failed. modprobe couldn't find the ndiswrapper.ko module. Turns out that the module is in the wrong directory. I found it in /lib/modules/misc, but it needs to be in /lib/module/uname-r/ directory. Moving it there, and following a depmod -a, I was able to load the ndiswrapper module. Once loaded, Wicd had no problem finding the network and connecting.
Since there are other threads with Broadcom issues,I'll summarize what I did to get this working:
After installing the Windows driver (in my case bcmwl5.inf) using ndisgtk do the following in a terminal as root:

root[one]# mv /lib/modules/misc/ /lib/modules/2.6.33.4-smp/
root[one]# depmod -a
root[one]# rmmod b43
root[one]# rmmod ssb
root[one]# modprobe ndiswrapper
As for this version of SalixLive, its working great and I haven't had any problems yet. I will continue to use it over the next couple of days and report back with any problems or issues.
Thanks
Rich
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

fitus wrote:is this the latest salix?
Yes :)

This is Salix Live 13.1, the very latest Salix but as a LiveCD.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

laprjns wrote:As for this version of SalixLive, its working great and I haven't had any problems yet. I will continue to use it over the next couple of days and report back with any problems or issues.
Great! :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

laprjns wrote:find the ndiswrapper.ko module. Turns out that the module is in the wrong directory. I found it in /lib/modules/misc, but it needs to be in /lib/module/uname-r/ directory.
Oops. How did that happen? Updated packages are now in the repositories. Thanks.
fitus

Post by fitus »

thanks, akuna, finished downloading, this will replace my zenwalk 6.4 thumb drive :)
Fitus
ikke

Post by ikke »

Have been playing / working half a day with this new Salix Live 13.1. Up to now everything OK.

So first word has to be : thank you. And congratulations.

Found the biggest difference with 13.0 is the making of modules. Am getting now a lot of info. Am worrying about the 'Number of duplicate files found 9' eg. This means also all the 13.0 modules have to be rebuilt.

Will come back when problems arise.

For the time being maybe one request : could you please update opera-10.10 to opera-10.60?

Once more : thank you. Nice job! Very nice, indeed!
fitus

Post by fitus »

ok this is very odd, I have downloaded the iso 3 times and when I have checked the md5sum it does not match any of the 3 isos, am I doing something wrong ?
this is the md5sum from the page

2e88248d32bfe2724c6dc87f1e9b208e  salixlive-13.1-20100805,10:25.iso

and none of the 3 isos matches, will download again one more time

EDIT:
for some reason the iso say it is 684MB, but I just finished downloading and on my download folder it says it is only 683.92, what is wrong, it took 6 minutes to download

EDIT 2:

I downloaded again on archlinux and now I got 684MBs but when I run the dm5sum I get this error

md5sum: /home/jesus/Downloads/salixlive-13.1-20100805,10:25.iso: no properly formatted MD5 checksum lines found

this is the 5th download.
fitus
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Maybe a corrupted download?
You could try with wget instead:

wget 'http://enialis.net/~jrd/salix/salixlive/salixlive-13.1-20100805,10:25.iso'