working root with the one regular user account

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
francois.e

working root with the one regular user account

Post by francois.e »

Coming from the slax forum, I appreciate very much to be able to work as root all the time, as it is custom with that distribution.

Is there a way to be able to load directly into root at bootup without the resort to the use of a password at login or to transform the one regular user account into a root account? I work with the Salix live cd intalled on hdd. See:

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1114
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: working root with the one regular user account

Post by thenktor »

Working as root is a really bad idea. We recommend you work as normal user!
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
try-alls

Post by try-alls »

how is working as root bad? if you know what files you can delete/edit etc an your system still works as is or better since editing certain files, typing a password in every time you need to "work on your pc" s a hinderence that lost windows so many customers. also please enable root login via gdm going back to init id3 is a pain in the ass sometimes

also any changes a default user will make are done under root so therefore the usage of a non-root account is pointless as either way you run the risk of f****** up the pc
Praise Bob!
francois.e

Post by francois.e »

Debates on root user have been done on other forums. I have been working root user for two years with slax frugal or hdd install without problem. You just get to know better the OS.

The security issues have been debated at lenght on the slax forum by some well informed and technically very fit users, see:

Myths or reality about linux and security?

http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=vi ... ostid36246

And amongst others specifically about root user:

http://www.slax.org/forum.php?action=vi ... light=root

My original question stays the same.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You already got your reply here: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7628#p7628
That wasn't a funny post.

Get it inside your head: running as root is stupid, reckless and dangerous. You think that you know everything, but you don't. Yeah, it has been debated at length that running the system as root is fine - by stupid people that think that they know everything.

If you think you're smart enough to be running your system as root, you're supposed to be smart enough to answer you own questions. If you were actually smart, you wouldn't be asking that question at all though.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:If you think you're smart enough to be running your system as root, you're supposed to be smart enough to answer you own questions. If you were actually smart, you wouldn't be asking that question at all though.
Actually I wanted to write this, too. :mrgreen:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
francois.e

Post by francois.e »

I am not always enough smart to find answers to my own questions, even those that I tackle in my expertise. And you would be surprised at which point I could be one.

Linux wise, for sure I am far from being an expert or of a wizard, but I do not think that I am a newbie too.

I admit that having some time, I am pleased to make some extended research and find a solution by my own. When time is missing, the advice of a knowledgeable third party is often very much appreciated. There is no stupid questions, but depending on the point of view there could be some stupid answers.

Expertise with linux is not a black or white issue. There is no need for snobbism or hermetism. Did you read the suggested threads?

My approach to linux forum is more of the the open helpful type rather than the rough cowboy type. However, this is a question of taste. And all the tastes are in the nature.

The time you put in helping others might become a good investment. At some point there could be a return. So do not make the learning curve more difficult. I think it could be nice for a forum to get new motivated members that speak in good terms about a distribution.

Up to now, Salix suits me quite fine.
ray

Post by ray »

francois.e wrote:I am not always enough smart to find answers to my own questions, even those that I tackle in my expertise. And you would be surprised at which point I could be one.

Linux wise, for sure I am far from being an expert or of a wizard, but I do not think that I am a newbie too.

I admit that having some time, I am pleased to make some extended research and find a solution by my own. When time is missing, the advice of a knowledgeable third party is often very much appreciated. There is no stupid questions, but depending on the point of view there could be some stupid answers.

Expertise with linux is not a black or white issue. There is no need for snobbism or hermetism. Did you read the suggested threads?

My approach to linux forum is more of the the open helpful type rather than the rough cowboy type. However, this is a question of taste. And all the tastes are in the nature.

The time you put in helping others might become a good investment. At some point there could be a return. So do not make the learning curve more difficult. I think it could be nice for a forum to get new motivated members that speak in good terms about a distribution.

Up to now, Salix suits me quite fine.
I agree with what you say, but with topics such as this, you are practically asking for these kind of responses.
Besides, as you know, this isnt a new debate, many people have gone through these things with a lot of times, and most have gotten fed-up, people just stick to their opinions even after days of debate.

The topic at hand is clearly one that is black and white, either you are for working as root or you are against. The developers are clearly against running as root, as was evident in other forum posts. And you cannot really say they are unhelpful, they could just leave the thread alone, but hhave posted what they think is a sensible idea.

Personally though, i cannot imagine what hindernace you have for working as a normal user.
Sure, you have to type the password when you need to do certain things, but how often is that for day to day uses?
Other than installing/upgrading apps, i see no other purpose for being logged in as root for daily tasks.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Slax is designed to be a live system not an installation so every time you reboot your system it's back to it's original state!

Humans aren't infallible, that's why you run as a user and escalate to root for administrative tasks. If repeated typing of passwords is all that is getting on your nerves then set up sudo so you only need to type the password once every ten minutes or whatever. It's not perfect but it might save you from yourself.
try-alls wrote:how is working as root bad? if you know what files you can delete/edit etc an your system still works as is or better since editing certain files, typing a password in every time you need to "work on your pc" s a hinderence that lost windows so many customers. also please enable root login via gdm going back to init id3 is a pain in the ass sometimes

also any changes a default user will make are done under root so therefore the usage of a non-root account is pointless as either way you run the risk of f****** up the pc
And that's why Windows is insecure by design and supports an entire "security" industry just to milk more money out of everyone. :roll:

More over, Windows has a dllcache directory containing all the core system files, should you delete such a file SFC will just copy it back (well, only if you don't disable it). This type of thing doesn't exist on a Linux system so (for example) if you execute rm -rf / accidentally you will eventually delete the whole system.

I'll say no more.

End of rant. :)
try-alls

Post by try-alls »

who's foolish enough to run that though removing the main partition, lol
Praise Bob!